my labs allergies

Thread: my labs allergies

chocolabmum Guest

Defaultmy labs allergies

My lab's allergies are year round pretty much. She is ALWAYS itching and sratching. After she eats she rubs her nose along the carpet and scratches at her jaw area. I figure that she is eating something that is bothering her. So when I discussed this with the vet she was put on benedryl. IT isn't doing that mucha and I asked about changing her diet. The vet said fish diet. But when I went to check the out at the local dog food store the person told me that I should be doing lamb or another protein first??? What should I do. My other post from before I was asking about fish diets - Eagle Pack, PRo Plan and Wellness.

So, should I try another protein first or the fish. Has anyone had to do this and had some sucess with a decrease in the itching around the face?? Although I guess some of her allergice load is coming too from the outside allergies ie grass, trees and the dust too.

She takes two benedryl a day and is 66 lbs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: my labs allergies

Lamb is old school thought. What are feeding now, including treats?

chocolabmum Guest

She has been eating Eukanuba large breed adult chicken food. Treats are either baby carrots or extra kibble.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Have you tried feeding her a hypoallergenic dog food?

If your dog has food allergies, personally I would avoid foods like Eukanuba. Too many grains and by-products.

One of my dogs, Murph, has both food and mild environmental seasonal allergies. His seasonal allergies flare up in the summer and dissapear in the colder months. In the summer I switch him to a hypoallergenic food and this really helps with his itching/scratching. The food he is on currently is all natural & wheat, corn and by-product free. When the shooting season starts he will be back on ProPlan.

chocolabmum Guest

What is the name of the hypo allergenic food that you have had success with. Maybe it would work for my dog during the summer months too when the allergies are worst???

What flavour of Pro Plan do you feed when not on the hypo diet?

So is it the grains and by products that I am to avoid?

You might think about organic foods too. I just put my 3 on Canidae dry with Merrick wet. They love it and its all natural. A little pricey but the ingredient list is impressive. Its acutally human grade too.

Good luck and give your baby a good ear scratching for me.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

What is the name of the hypo allergenic food that you have had success with.* Maybe it would work for my dog during the summer months too when the allergies are worst???
    I'm in the UK so I don't think the food I use is available to the US. That said, you guys have a MUCH better choice of high quality dog foods then we do so finding a good hypo allergenic/holistic brand should be no problem. I can't help you with specific brands but I know other US members can.

What flavour of Pro Plan do you feed when not on the hypo diet?
    The only reason I feed ProPlan is because my dogs work in during the winter months (shooting/hunting season). They need to be on a performance formula because they are working hard & need the extra protein/fat ratios.

So is it the grains and by products that I am to avoid?
    Most foods contain grains (some of the US brands like Timberwolf Organics don't)...it is the low quality grains you want to avoid. Corn, wheat, brewers rices, etc., are all low quality fillers. Brown rice, oats and barley are all good quality grains.

It is not just bad grains and by products you want to avoid;

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....badingredients

chocolabmum Guest

Looking at that link from the dog food project, I don't know of a food that would pass all those restrictions do you??

I know you are supposed to feed what works but I haven't found that yet!!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie had terrible itching and had always been on Eukanuba. I put him on Science Diet and he was worse. I decided to take him off dry food and see if he got better. He did. I have said this before, and not sure if it was seasonal, or what ever. Each time I put him back on dry food he starts to get flakey skin and itch within days.

Nick said his dog was allergic to wheat. I have been making dry dog food with oats instead of wheat and Ernie seems fine.

In N.Z. we don't have access to the many food in the U.S.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/