Marking & Neutering??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marking & Neutering??

DefaultMarking & Neutering??

Fergus is 13 months now, but we are trying to put off having him neutered until he is 18 months. We haven't had any issues with him that would make us want to do it sooner then that, other then he is marking like crazy now. It seems to be getting worse over the summer...we can't go more then a few feet without him lifting his leg and marking on anything & everything the entire walk. Will this stop once he's neutered or now that he has this behaviour is it here to stay??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Marking & Neutering??

You can stop it now if you want...simply tell him "leave it" and give him a pop on the leash. Darwin is 3yrs old and intact...he learned very quickly that walks are for walking, not leaving "pee mail" everywhere

Marking is a habit and if you let it continue now, it may very well stick around when he's nuetered.

Thanks! We have been working on the "leave it"...looks like we'll just keep that up!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'm doing what our trainer recommended: have Scotty pee and poop before the walk, and on the walk, he's not allowed to pee (our walks are usually 10-15 minutes, so it's not a big deal for him). He was going through a marking phase, too, but it seems to be getting much better now.

Barnsley would do that if we let him. He goes to the bathroom on our walks. My rule is 2 pees and your done. I give him collar corrections after his 2 pees and he does okay.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

One of the reasons I had my Murph done at 12 months rather then 18 is because he was getting so distracted by marking during training and ignored me even when corrected. I'm thankful I had it done when I did...I don't regret it and we haven't had any issues with marking since.

Ya...we thought about taking him sooner, but he just had his Cruciate surgery last month and we figured he'd gone throught enough trama for now! In January he'll be 6 months post-op and be 18 months old, so it kinda works out well. We'll just continue trying to correct him while we are out & hopefully it'll get better.

I am not convinced neutering stops or prevents marking behavior. I keep hearing that, but every male dog I have ever been around marks no matter how old they were when they were fixed.. Most of these dogs were neutered prior to their first birthdays. So I am confused about why people, including the vet, tell me it curbs that. I think correcting them is probably more effective.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I am not convinced neutering stops or prevents marking behavior. I keep hearing that, but every male dog I have ever been around marks no matter how old they were when they were fixed.. Most of these dogs were neutered prior to their first birthdays. So I am confused about why people, including the vet, tell me it curbs that. I think correcting them is probably more effective.
    You are right --neutering does not stop marking completely. Mine still mark but no way near to the extent they did when they were intact. My GSD/Border Collie mix, Trick, started lifting his leg up to mark about 6-12 months ago. He is 4 years old and was neutered at 6 months. He picked it up from my other two males.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I am not sure what the big problem with marking is. Hud won't poop in the yard, so his two walks are potty walks. He's allowed to sniff and pee etc. as he pleases, as long as he is walking nice. If he wants to pee on something inappropriate like a neighbors trash can etc. I pop his leash and say NO and we go on. But he's allowed to pee on the grass, bushes, hydrants etc. And he never pees inappropriately in the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast