brown gunk in ears
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brown gunk in ears

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

Defaultbrown gunk in ears

Hello all,
    my dogs (maggie 1yo black female and cosmo 1yo black male) occasionally have brownish red gunk in their ears. I am just wondering if this is a deffinate sign of ear infection or if it could just be dirt from playing outside. I clean their ears when I can see this gunk and it usually goes away to reappear a week or so later. I am taking them in for a wellness check next month, but I don't want to wait and ruin their hearing or anything. They are currently eating nutro large breed dog food and I also supplement with 1000 mg of fishoil and nupro for their joints. I am thinking of changing their food over to something wheat free because of some recent itchiness they are having. I don't know if it is from their food or from allergies from grass or pollen as it has just started in the past few weeks and they have been eating the same dog food since they were 5 months old. Do any of you know if they could all of a sudden become allergic to what they eat or does it usually show up with in a few weeks of eating a new food?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: brown gunk in ears

It could take some time before the allergy to the new food manifests itself.

Buck had a similar issue and I had to change his food to something Corn free. It took about a month on the new food for the ear gunk to disappear. Before that the vet had me treat him with Otomax (I believe) but as soon as we'd stop using it the gunk ( Yeast infection) would be back.
    I also would clean and flush his ears daily with no satisfactory results. THe only thing that helped was switching him over to a food free of corn.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It's subjective, how much ear junk are you talking about. All of mine get it sometimes. I clean it out and they are good for quite a while. If it's excessive, stinky, then you have a problem...allergy or infection....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

It's not that much gunk. It takes about two cotton balls to clean it out and it is usually only one ear that has it. So it isn't necessarily an ear infection just because there is stuff in their ears?

labby is offline Senior Member

Take your dog to the vet and find out what it is.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I think if it's consistently the same ear, then there is something going on...

I agree with the others to have it checked by your vet. I may also add some acidophilus (probiotics) to her food. My Maggie has had significantly fewer ear issues since I started adding it to her food.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Oh I must add...the Yeast Infection he had was diagnosed by the vet. They ran a test to figure it out. Like Labby said...take the pup to the vet and find out what it is.

Umm currently (knock on wood) Buck's ears are completely gunk free. I still try and flush them once a week for peace of mind.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

With the Nupro you shouldn't need any additional acidophilus, it's already in there...how long has she been on the Nupro?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

I have made an appointment for maggie and cosm for next week. Thanks for all your replies. Labs4me, they have been on the nupro for about two months. We did have them on pill form of glucosimine and chondritian for a few months before the nupro, but I think it was to hard on their stomaches. We give cosmo 1 1/2 scoops a day ( he has hip dysplasia ) and we give maggie 1 scoop a day ( iffy hips ). Do you think that the nupro for joints has enough glucosimine to be effective?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast