interesting articles - Do they apply to our labs today?

Thread: interesting articles - Do they apply to our labs today?

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaultinteresting articles - Do they apply to our labs today?

I have come across these two articles and wonder what your thoughts are on them. *Could this be the cause of the problems that some of us have with our labs today. ??

Any thoughts, thanks.

Articles are both long to read especially the second one.

http://www.btca.com/rescue/bthealth-allergies.shtml

http://landofpuregold.com/gfeeding.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: interesting articles - Do they apply to our labs today?

Those are great articles, especially the second one.* Both of them are definitely worth reading.* I've been doing a lot of research on this same subject recently and concur with just about everything in the second article.* I'm currently changing the way I've been feeding my dogs.* I think we've all gotten brainwashed into feeding just kibble, when common sense tells us that a wide variety of foods is better for overall health - in man or dog.*

A quote from the first article:
    Treats:
    Carrots, broccoli and raisins instead of rawhide. Note: Bull Terriers need a lot of exercise, more than most breeds, aim for 2 hours a day. If your dog is older and not exercised as much, you may consider a Premium Food.
    We all know about raisins.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab13 is offline Senior Member

I noticed that too about the raisins. But the ideas are the same basically for both articles.

The lab that we owned with the least problems was the one that we fed a combo of mostly meat, scraps and a bit of kibble. Maybe I should try that with my choco lab and see what happens. Sure not having success the other way.

Will have my husband read them both and we will decide if we want to try it. Will let you know.

I think raw and/or homemade diets are the best option for dogs with severe allergies, I'd sure try it. Although I think a lot of the claims are greatly exaggerated for the average dog (this coming from a raw feeder - well 50/50 raw and kibble, but I used to feed a 100% raw diet), I do think the traditionally simple and easily digested raw diets are a good option for dogs with severe allergies.

I remember about 10 years or so ago my children had heard somewhere that you were not to feed your pets table food. I told them that I always had, my parents always had, and my grandparents always had and we would continue to do so since all our pets had lived well beyond average lifespanns (except for any killed by an accident).

We still feed about 60% kibble and 40% people food (vegies and meats)...In all the years I've owned labs, I 've only had one with Allergies (Murphy) and by switching to a lamb and rice kibble we have gotten those under control just this year...(still a 60 - 40 ratio).

Well, I think that rule about table food applies to just willy nilly feeding of food from your plate with no thought to balance or nutrition, not to mention encouraging poor manners on the part of your dog.

I agree that it probably was intended for the dog owners to understand that, however, I still have people watch me prepare their food and make comments on "no table food, it is bad for them". Even my (much) younter sister refused to feed her Shitzu anything other than commercially prepared food because her vet told her not to AND she had learned it in one of her classes way back in high school.

I agree with the second article...my grandfather never fed his dogs a commercial dog food; his dogs were fed from his garden and from rabbits that he raised and sold for meat in his neighborhood (we're talking WWII era here). Wherever my Air Force Recruiter Father was stationed, he purchased as many acres as he could find and raised hogs and chickens and our dogs were fed from the resulting eggs and butcherings, although in later years, my parents did use a commercial dog food for supplementation.

There is a difference between "don't feed your dog from the table" and "don't feed your dog table food". One implies allowing the dog to beg while you are eating (manners) and the other implies not feeding anything that you would serve at your table...which is what I was referring to in my first reply....too many folk have taken the second implication as gospel. Hence the allergies, cancers and other health issues now prevalant in so many breeds. In case it was lost, I was supporting the articles not disagreeing with them.

Maybe if they were seedless raisins? Are not most raisins devoid of seeds? Cause otherwise they would be no fun to eat? I thought it was the raisin seeds which were poisonous.

Morgan wit Lya the Itchy

No I do not feed raisins, but I do give ground walnuts.

I thought it was the raisin seeds which were poisonous.
    They don't know what is in raisins and grapes that destroys the kidneys of some dogs. The amounts raisins/grapes that were fed varied, the size of the dog varied, they're really not too sure. All they know is a bunch of kidney failures popped up and the common link was grapes and raisins.