New lab not eating much

Thread: New lab not eating much

DefaultNew lab not eating much

We just got our lab on Sunday from a lab rescue, she is about a year old. She is underweight by a few pounds, so this concerns me. Her foster mom said she was eating 3 cups of food morning and night; I am lucky if she will eat 4. I was giving her a different food initially, but changed to what she was getting at her foster's yesterday (Nutro Natural Care Lamb & Rice). She ate maybe 2.5 cups all day. Her foster did have several other dogs, perhaps she only ate to compete with them? I know she was fed in her crate so they weren't actually "fighting" for food. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New lab not eating much

She's still adjusting. All of my foster dogs usually don't eat much in the first couple of days of their arrival. Nothing to be worried about. Put her bowl down...give her 15 minutes...what she leaves behind is what she gets at the next feeding...NO ADDING ANYTHING. At the next feeding put the bowl down for 15 minutes....what she eats is what she eats....again if she doesn't finish it, what is left is what she gets at the next feeding. She has to learn your house rules and routine. SHe's nervous. A dog will not inentionally starve itself. TRUST ME.

Once she's used to the environment and you...she'll settle in and start eating on your schedule.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

15 minutes to eat? That doesn't seem right. My dogs have always grazed. I've been breaking it into 2 feedings bc that's what she was used to. The strange thing is she didn't do this at all at her foster's, and she only had her a week.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Free feeding is NOT ideal. Do NOT let your lab graze. 15 minutes and that is it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

As long as the food is the measured amount for the day, what is the difference? I would think gorging themselves once or twice a day would be much worse than self-appetite management. Why exactly is it better to limit their mealtimes to 15 minutes?