which fish diet works best for allergies in labradors??

Thread: which fish diet works best for allergies in labradors??

chocolabmum Guest

Defaultwhich fish diet works best for allergies in labradors??

My choco lab has allergies and my vet told me to go and buy a fish based diet which should help. There are so many. Which fish based diet has worked best for labs and does it matter that it is a chocolate lab?? I have been told that choco labs have more allergies??

The brands in the stores that I can pick from are : Pro Plan, Wellness, Eagle Pack .

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: which fish diet works best for allergies in labradors??

Try the Eagle Pack, then the ProPlan, then the Wellness.

Chocolate Labs don't have any more allergies than any other coat color. What allergies are confirmed by your vet? Most allergies are inhalent and are not helped by food. Food allergies in dogs are not common.

Laura

chocolabmum Guest

Her allergies where to dust, ragweed, grass, trees. The vet told me to just try the fish diets instead of testing for foods as the tests aren't that reliable. So, now that is what I am doing. She was eating Eukanuba large breed adult formula and is taking benedryl too. The benedryl isn't doing much, so that is where we thought it could be a combo of environment and food.

She itches most of the year and licks at her feet from August to late September.

The lady in the store was promoting the wellness as the first choice although said that the pro plan is good too. She had the eagle pack but didn't seem to talk much about it. She said that I should leave the wellness though to my last choice just in case the others don't work. ???

Have you tried the eagle pack or pro plan then?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I feed my dogs Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish diet. My Maggie has some allergies, and she has done well on this food. The dogs seem to like it, too. I also add about 1/2 teaspoon of acidophilus (probiotic) to her food, whcih has also helped with her itching.

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Just checking out the ingredients lists on the three foods listed . Wouldn't you want to go for one with the least ingredients?

Wellness Fish and Potato

Whitefish, Ground Barley (dehulled), Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Ground Pearled Barley, Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomato Pomace (natural source of lycopene), Natural Fish Flavor, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride.

Minerals
    Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.

Vitamins
    Choline Chloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin K Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Taurine.
    Old Mother Hubbard uses ethoxyquin-free meat sources.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein Not Less Than 22.0%
    Crude Fat Not Less Than 12.0%
    Crude Fiber Not More Than 3.0%
    Moisture Not More Than 11.0%
    Omega 6 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 2.70%
    Omega 3 Fatty Acids* Not Less Than 1.10%
    Beta-Carotene* Not Less Than 5 mg/kg
    Lycopene* Not Less Than 0.37 mg/kg
    Taurine* Not Less Than 0.09%

Pro Plan Sensitive stomach and skin

Crude Protein (Min) 26.0%
    Crude Fat (Min) 16.0%
    Crude Fiber (Max) 4.0%
    Moisture (Max) 12.0%
    Linoleic Acid (Min) 1.4%
    Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.0%
    Phosphorus (P) (Min) 0.8%
    Zinc (Zn) (Min) 180 mg/kg
    Selenium (Se) Min) 0.30 mg/kg
    Vitamin A (Min) 15,000 IU/kg
    Vitamin E (Min) 460 IU/kg
    Ascorbic Acid** (Min) 70 mg/kg
    Glucosamine** (Min) 400 ppm
    Glutamine** (Min) 1.0%

Calorie Content (calculated):
    Metabolizable Energy (ME): 419 Kcal/cup; 1,700 Kcal/lb.; 3,740 Kcal/kg

Salmon, brewers rice, canola meal, oat meal, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon meal (natural source of glucosamine), pearled barley, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    D-4449

Eagle Pack anchovy Sardine and Salmon diet

Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Oatmeal, Ground Brown Rice, Pearled Barley, Menhaden Oil (Preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Sun-Cured Alfalfa Meal, Air Dried Peas, Brewers Dried Yeast, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Carrots, Dried Apples, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dandelion (Organic), Garlic Powder, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Dehydrated Kelp, Polysaccharide Complexes (sequestered) of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Enterococcus faecium, B. Subtillus, Bacillus lichenformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae and Aspergillus niger.

Crude Protein min. 22.0%
    Crude Fat min. 12.0%
    Crude Fiber max. 3.9%
    Moisture max. 10.0%

356 ME (Kcal/cup)

Calcium min. 0.95%**
    Phosphorus min. 0.80%**
    Vitamin A min. 22,000 IU/kg.
    Vitamin E min. 125 IU/kg.
    Omega 6 min. 3.2%*
    Omega 3 min. .44%*
    Glucosamine min. 400 ppm; 41 mg/cup*

If they didn't work, Wellness makes a diet with just two food sources, rice and venision or rice and duck? Which would be first to try if the fish diets didn't work? Just planning ahead in case I need to go there on any of the above. THanks

Look into Life Extension by Solid Gold as a supplement. It's overall good for your dog and it does seem to help with allergies. Their website is www.solidgoldhealth.com

Good luck!

chocolabmum Guest

Can I ask CarterMaggieGA - Why would the acidolphlus help with the itching? What type do I look for, like the one that we take when we are on antibiotics?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolabmum
    Can I ask CarterMaggieGA - Why would the acidolphlus help with the itching?* What type do I look for, like the one that we take when we are on antibiotics?
    There was a discussion about acidophilus on another board.
    Yes, get the refrigerated kind. The potency will be better. To combat yeast, you needs tons of acidophilus. I don't think you can get enough with just feeding live cultured yogurt.

Quote:
    Acidophilus: The "Friendly" Bacteria
    Acidophilus is considered to be a "friendly" flora. In a healthy intestine, many bacteria and yeasts compete for space and nutrients. Yeasts and "unfriendly" bacteria brought the nutrients and produce numerous harmful substances. This puts a significant burden on the body. Acidophilus is considered to be a "friendly" flora. These microorganisms are able to outcompete "unfriendly" species for valuable living space. Acidophilus also produces lactic acid which, while mild to the intestinal system, is very hostile to many undesirable organisms. Acidophilus is one of the most important "friendly" microorganisms the body relies on. In addition, acidophilus produces enzymes that may help the efficient assimilation of foods. Acidophilus produces small amounts of some B-Vitamins as well, such as folic acid and PABA. Acidophilus may also help limit intestinal gas, help control the accumulation of serum cholesterol, help the body metabolize calcium, and naturally enhance the body's immune system.
    Also, I tried my dog on Wellness Fish and Potato and he did horribly on that food. Stools never firmed up, ploppy all the time, and he had terrible gas. NATURAL BALANCE also makes a fish and potato food.

everydog is offline Senior Member

And the Wellness fish food smells like ...dried fish... ick.

WigWag Guest

I feed Pinnacle trout and potato