My chocolate lab's nose is a little crusty on the end. Anyone had this problem before?
My 12-year-old springer has a crusty tip on her nose, and the vet says it's an age thing - I only noticed it in the last year or so. How old is your dog? It doesn't seem to bother my girl.
My swiss moutain dog had this problem all of his life. Does not mean the dog is unhealthy at all.
Two things helped.
1) Bag Balm (product like vasoline)...once or twice a day
2) Kera Solv http://www.dvmpharmaceuticals.com/di...KeraSolv%20Gel
The later worked better in my opinion, but both with help a great deal. It would actually get to the point that I would be able to peel the dead skin off the nose once I used the prodcuts for a week or two and underneath it was great! Then the process would start again. I think some seasons of the year were worse than others I would see how bagbalm works and of the results are not as good as you like try the second option. You can also mix and match the two - that is what I did. Once it got better, I switched back to bag balm. If it got bad again, I moved to Kera Solv.
I've had this problem for years with nearly every pug I have owned. It's called Hyperkeratosis. My vet recommended a twice daily application of vitamin A cream. After about 2 - 3 weeks it will disappear. BUT it will be back. When it does, just carry on the treatment again.
Crusty how? Mine get a white crust at the top of their nose, right where the fur starts up. It's a salt deposit if they haven't drank enough water during the day or it's extra hot.
Thanks for posting that last one. I've always wondered about that little line of crystals Charlie gets at the top edge where his fur starts. He seems to drink plenty of water but with temps over than 100 degrees here in So Cal lately I guess none of us can get enough water. :P