Extreme hunger-diabetes?

Thread: Extreme hunger-diabetes?

DefaultExtreme hunger-diabetes?

We just returned from a trip and picked Clarence up at the dog trainer's house where he stays when we're away. She mentioned that he seems extremely hungry all the time (more than the usual lab hunger!) and suggested we get him checked for diabetes. Does anyone have information about the symptoms of canine diabetes? He doesn't drink excessively and doesn't pee more than normal. He has had really loose stools the past few weeks though and seems more mellow than usual. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Extreme hunger-diabetes?

as in himans, excessive thirst is more a marker/warning than hunger.
    i would strongly suggest a [re-] check for worms, and specifically request tapeworm and whipworm tests, as they are NOT part of a regular worm-check, particularly since he's been staying where there are lots of other animals. if a dog is a whipworm carrier, they are always in the feces......

Thanks for the info. We haven't noticed any worms in his feces but I'm going to ask the vet to check anyway. He'll be there on Friday for neutering-hope he's not too traumatized! Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labradork mom is offline Member

My four year old female lab was just diagnosed with Diabetes last week. The symptoms were a sudden increase in water intake. She would actually lay down by the bowl waiting for water. Pee accidents in the house which never happened before. Clear looking diluted urine. They say sometimes their is an increase in appetite, but with Gracie I did not see any difference. The water intake is the big clue.

Thanks for the additional info. Clarence doesn't seem to be drinking excessively, so we're thinking that diabetes might not be the problem. Good luck with your dog.

My Dali had diabetes and the extreme water intake and frequent urination was the telling sign. Also - extremely bad breath. I mean, like tales-of-the-crypt bad breath.

Sorry to hear about your dog, Labradork. I hope she responds well to the insulin if you are choosing to go that route. If you caught it early enough - she still live out a long life. My Dali was almost 11 years old so the diagnosis was not as good.

WigWag Guest

Is that Clarence in the photo? He looks young - did the trainer really think that such a young pup could have diabetes? He's just a typical "vacuum cleaner" Labrador puppy.

Yes, that's Clarence in the photo but that's an old picture. He's now 6 months. Happy to report that his blood work was normal, except for a little bacteria going on in his tummy. You're right, he's just a hoover!