Diarrhea Concerns
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diarrhea Concerns

DefaultDiarrhea Concerns

Hi....Caper is my first lab and I was wondering if you all could help me with some concerns I have over her recent bought of diarrhea. She is almost 8 months old and weighs 48 pounds. She suffered from diarrhea last weekend going almost every 2 hours. I called the vet and was told that as long as she was eating and drinking to give her a few more days to see what happened. Happily, it cleared up and we went all week without any more episodes. However, as of yesterday her diarrhea has returned as has her need to go almost every 2 hours. Poor thing runs to the yard and then "squeezes" long after I am sure she is finished. I don't believe she has eaten anything out of the ordinary. A neighbor told me last weekend that if she ate a grasshopper that would make her sick. Is that true???? Has anyone experienced this before? Should I now take Caper to the vet??? She is eating and drinking and her energy level seems fine....Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Diarrhea Concerns

I would take her to the vet being that it is reoccuring.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Diarrhea can be brought on by a lot of things...giardia is a possibility, especially as you say she hasn't got into anything.

I would also ask for a re-consultation with the vets if she is having reoccurring diarrhea problems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck had a similar issue when he was 10 weeks old. It turned out to be the treats I was giving him. When he got diarrhea I fed him just plain rice and boiled chicken as per the vet's recommendation to calm his stomach down. I did this for a couple of feedings and during that time I gave him no treats at all and none of his regular kibble. Once he was pooping normal again I slowly introduced his kibble back in. Then after a few days it was back to the same kind of diarrhea you are describing. We did stool tests and everything. everything came back negative. So I thought hmmm could it be his treats or maybe even his food? I stopped giving those treats for 3 days and everything was fine. Then I dared to try giving him a couple of the treats again and he had the runs. That's how I figured out it was the treats. They were these small milkbone treats.
    Also what kind of bones does he chew on if any? Have you started giving her a new kind of treat? Or feeding her new food? I hear if you don't take out a good portion of the marrow from the marrow bone when you are giving it to your pup for the first time it can cause diarrhea.

And definitely take a stool sample to the vet and ask them to check giardia and such.

Keep us posted on how she is doing

<3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Giardia... make sure you ASK that they test for that specifically. Some vet's definition of "fecal exam" doesn't include the test for giardia.
    ~Lindsay

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Caper, I hope she feels better soon. I would also take her to the vet. When I first got Brigetta she has diarrhea on and off for weeks and weeks. They ran all sorts of tests for worms and giardia but never found anything. One day it just stopped. But whenever something changes in her environment- being boarded, etc she will have it for about a week.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

labby is offline Senior Member

Diarrhea is a symptom so any prolonged bout should be checked out by the vet.

Laura

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. I will definitely mention giardia to my vet AND try stopping some new treats we have been giving her. We have been giving her soft dental bones for a few weeks now, only one every now and then, but maybe it has been enough to cause her symptoms. Keep you fingers crossed that it is just the treats...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Any word on what's buggin' Caper?
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Discussed it with the vet over the phone and going to wait a couple of days and see if it was the dental treats we had been giving her - my boyfriend and I compared notes and we had both been giving her the treats so maybe it was just too much. If she has one more episode we are taking her to the vet without question!!! Thanks to your replies I researched giardia and have some information already printed to take with me....just in case. So far, she has made it through yesterday and this morning without any diarrhea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast