Questions about thyroid problems . . .

Thread: Questions about thyroid problems . . .

lablimo is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions about thyroid problems . . .

Hello and good afternoon from California --

I don't post much any more, but I do lurk and do a bit of reading. Now, I am posting a question for a friend of mine.

She has a female yellow lab, 9 yrs. old. Addie has had some health problems in the past (ear infections, sensitive tummy, etc.). Her most recent diagonsis is a thyroid problem. She is taking her thyroid medication twice daily, before meals. She was taking it with her meals, but her thyroid numbers were not where the vet wanted them to be, so now she is taking the medication 2 hrs. prior to her meals. This has caused a problem. Addie does not want to eat; and, if she does, she will sometimes vomit. My friend has told the vet of this problem and she has had numerous tests done, but they cannot find a reason why the dog does this. Addie is losing weight -- not dangerously so, but this has my friend very concerned. She does seem to always eat her dinner, however. It is breakfast that is usually the problem, but not always.

So, my question is -- do any of you have experience with thyroid problems in dogs? Any advice as to what could be causing this would be very appreciated. Some days Addie is hungry -- it really varies, but it seems to be getting more frequent those days she does not want to eat.

Thanks so much for your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions about thyroid problems . . .

Ernie has a few health issues and was diagnosed with Thryoid problem. The problem isn't serious and the vet said he wouldn't put him on medication as there were too many side effects. I am sorry I can't remeber what they are, but think one is not eating.

Someone else maybe able to give you better information.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Thanks, Chris!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would probably get another opinion since the Vet seems to be at an end for ideas. Possibly a Pepcid might help in the morning. They can also raise the thyroid dose.

I had a Golden with thyroid issues most of his life. He battled weight and hair loss, and had low energy. We never had to change when we gave him meds and fed him though. For him, a loss of appetite would have been nice LOL! However, if she is getting too thin, I would think of a couple solutions: don't give her her meds before breakfast, but leave the dinner routine alone if it's working; or, give her meds whenever and up her doses. I don't recall any major side effects from the MEDS with my dog. If he had not been on levothyroid, I am sure he would never have lived to age 12 like he did. He had zero energy without meds. The dog barely moved. (I go thim from rescue and he was ill when I got him)

Please do tell your friend, however, that seizures tend to run hand in hand with thyroid problems in dogs.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will pass them along. I appreciate you taking the time to post. Have a great day!