Fabulous easy fix for SKUNK!!!

Thread: Fabulous easy fix for SKUNK!!!

DefaultFabulous easy fix for SKUNK!!!

a family of skunks has decided our yard is their Rte. 66 each evening, so i have been letting the girls out to do their thing well before the skunks come through.
    last night, they must have failed to read their clock, and arrived 2 hours early.....i innocently opened the door, and* the youngest, Belle, goes full-cry yodeling out to the back, drowning out my screams of ''here'' [cause i knew immediately what she was in pursuit of!].*
    then i heard the fateful 'yipe!' and a cloud of horror drifted towards the house.
    knowing a skunked dog makes a beeline for the best furniture, i braced myself in the doorway and was able to intercept the smelly beast as she returned almost as fast as she left, [only much quieter!]
    she had been well & truly sprayed,* allover, so badly i could barely control the dry heaves whenever she was within 6 feet.* while i have baking soda & hydogen peroxide, the old standards, on-hand, i didn't have a vat of them, and felt some prior clean-up would stretch my supply.
    so i grabbed the dish detergent [for HAND-washing dishes!], a new dark blue-color Palmolive with ''OxyPLUS'' additive, and used it for shampoo.* [i just got the huge size at BJ's, it was 'new & improved', but it's available everywhere]
    well, i didn't even need the peroxide, or the baking soda, one [ONE!] shampoo and rinse with lukewarm water[using at most a couple tablespoons of the stuff] and she smelled lovely, even when wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!![and we all know how rare that is...]
    her coat looks nice today too.* i thought it might be a liitle dry, although it looked nice & shiny but hubby said she dried off better/faster after her swim than ever before, so the essential oils must be still intact. and, still no skunk odor!
    i wouldn't use this stuff for everyday shampoo, i still think it would be too harsh for that, but do yourself a favor & keep some on-hand for those late-night 'horror baths'!
    note: edited to relect the correct name, Palmolive with Oxy PLUS. [it's not very 'smelly', either.]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fabulous easy fix for SKUNK!!!

Wow, thanks for the tip.

Laura

JP

QOTD - sounds like you had a fun evening!!!

Now, Palmolive is my personal horror story - from a little child, I've never been able to stop sneezing if the wet soap was in the same room! Do you think any "oxy" type dishwashing liquid would work... or do you think there might be something specifically anti-odour in the Palmolive?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

QOTD -- thanks for the tip.* I'll buy a small bottle to keep on hand since we walk off leash every morning in an area where there are skunks.

I keep an 8 oz (236 ml) bottle of "Sunk-Off" in the van just in case I need to shampoo Puff before we drive home.*

Fortunately, we've never needed it.

Casey's Mom (Lynn G.) has and reports it's very effective.

Those allergic to Palmolive (like JP, for instance) might consider it:

"Skunk-Off"(R), Thornell Corp.* http://www.thornell.com
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks.

After DH and our former dog had a late nite encounter with a skunk (DH got the worse of the spray :-X), and no deodorizer to be found We now keep a large bottle of Natures Miracle Skunk Deodorizer on hand. We have not yet had to use it on Windy...keeping fingers crossed. It works fast and completely without bathing, just spray it on and let it dry. within 10 minutes the odor is gone. I highly recommend it.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

As someone living in the country, I am going to keep at least one of those remedies on hand from now on.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy