Met a informative person about allergies today

Thread: Met a informative person about allergies today

lab13 Guest

DefaultMet a informative person about allergies today

Today, I met a very informative person about dog allergies. She recommended that I try and feed my choco lab with all the MC tumours a food that is low in carbs. She really wants me to try raw but I don't have the lifestyle for that. The dry foods that she has had luck with for allergies have been

Eagle Pack fish diet
    Eagle Pack duck diet

Wellness one carb/one protein - duck or venison

Has anyone tried any of these food with a lab and had results? Good results I hope.
    Thanks as always.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Met a informative person about allergies today

We are feeding Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal to Sarah who has allergies.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal is not actually low in carbs - duck is expensive, so this is NOT a high protein/fat food. It can work well if your dog has an allergy to protiens other than duck, however.

If you want to lower carbs, you have to feed homemade or a food like EVO, which is 42% protein. EVO has several protein sources so it might not be the best food for allergies. Makes it tough, eh?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

phaereet is offline Member

For those concerned with allergic reactions in means of skin disorders:

A common mistake is that; any skin disorder accepted as an allergy to proteins or better to say "the feeding style". In my opinion this is not true. Skin disorders sometimes may be due to emotional disturbances (fear, anxiety, etc.) in dogs' spirit. Self and misactivated defense system stimulates immunglobulins and skin disorders occur. As I said emotional state over activates immune system and responds immune suppressors (steroids) or sedative drugs or sedative manners of those people in significance.

In these cases shifting to another feeding style does not work. Maybe the form of the allergy will be fading in time and you falsely be thinking that the new feeding style has worked.

I advise not to be too eager to blame foods in etiology of allergic states.

lab13 Guest

phaereet - That is interesting. I must admit that a couple of people had mentioned this type of thing to me as the dog is very timid and distant with strange people. She gets very hyper when I have feed her higher carb diets which would increase her " ?? anxiety levels??

What do I look for in a food to help bring this down other than % of carbs?? Is it more calcium, protein, ??? or other nutrients or ingredients???

Hope I am making sense of what you have said in the above post. THanks

phaereet is offline Member

Sorry, I only try to propose the MEDICAL truth that; emotional disturbances cause skin lesions which often mimic allergic reactions although they are merely the result of the over-activated defense system -due to fear/anxiety. The over-activated defense system stimulates the Ig's (immune globulins) and a form of allergic reaction is displayed on skin.
    One can not cure this situation simply by changing the food as food is not the cause. The cause is often the emotional disturbance which can easily be managed with close and passionate friendly relation with your dog.

I hope this time I could explain what I meant Sorry again for your misunderstanding

Thanks,

Ferit, Istanbul, Turkey