Puppy Losing hair

Thread: Puppy Losing hair

DefaultPuppy Losing hair

I have a 12 week old puppy that is losing his hair. I first noticed when i was petting him that I would get a handfull of hair. Now there is a lot of hair missing on the back half of him, around his back and legs. I took him to the vet and he told me he has never seen this before. They took a skin graf and found no mites or anything. He did send some medication with me to treat it like it was mange. Anyone have this happen before or what it can be? Other than the hair lose he is perfectly heathy.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Losing hair

Hi there,
    I hope someone can reply to this. I have been having the same exact problem with my 9month old pup. I brought her to the vet and he said it was normal time of year to shed but then it's only got worse and worse and it's really starting to get thin in spots. I have two pups the same age, so I would think it would be happening to both, but it's not- only to the chocolate. Good luck though, and I hope someone can suggest something.
    Heidi

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Perhaps you can post a photo. Labs do shed a lot ... they lose puppy fur, and they blow their coat. And in between they still shed a lot. But if your puppy is going bald, I'd think that is something else entirely.

A couple of questions -- What are you feeding him? Did you make any changes to his diet? When did this start? Have you contacted your breeder for advice (assuming you got him from a breeder)? Are you using any type of flea medication? Is he itchy? Did your vet do any type of bloodwork?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Im using Advantix, and we are feeding Kirkland Chicken and Rice (I was feeding Nutro lamb and rice). It started about a week ago and it's mostly under the base of her tail and up into her belly. I dont see any fleas but I do notice a rash under her butt (and she has been licking it every now and then). It almost looks like red bumps, like miniture misquito bites. She did the butt drag thing the other night too, but I dont notice any anal sacs, and shes up to date with her wormings etc. Shes not bald, but it's certinaly thin and when shes swimming and her hair gets wet it looks like she doens't have any fur at all under her tail in that "area". I also thought it was looking a little swollen, but the vet said it looked normal to her. To me though, who see's her everyday it does look a bit swollen. Even though she is spayed- when they get to the age where they come into heat would she show any of those signs? Like swelling, licking herself, etc?

I think it was around 14 weeks that Lindy started losing her puppy fur. Now at 18 weeks her hair is not as softs it use to be but all the thin spots I was worried about are all gone. She looks older now *sniff*.

Looks like my labs hair is coming back and is not losing any more. Not sure if the medication did the trick but all is well now.