Anyone feeding or have fed Nature's Variety raw frozen diets??

Thread: Anyone feeding or have fed Nature's Variety raw frozen diets??

DefaultAnyone feeding or have fed Nature's Variety raw frozen diets??

Opinions? Pros? Cons?

Or, any prepackaged raw, for that matter. I'm looking at Nature's Variety simply because it's available in my area.

I love the idea of raw, but lack the organizational skills, preplanning required, and freezer space (and am a bit scared of getting it wrong!), so prepackaged raw is appealing to me.

Also, can you feed 1 meal raw, 1 meal kibble? Or is it best to just feed all raw? The reason I ask is that we travel a lot...

Thanks, in advance!!*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Anyone feeding or have fed Nature's Variety raw frozen diets??

Natures Variety makes Raw Instinct that is kibble raw.

I feed kibble in the morning and raw at night. It's not ideal to mix the two in the same meal, but there's nothing wrong with alternating between the two feeding methods.

I've never tried the prepackaged products, but I did look at their website and it looks like a good food. A bit complicated (ingredient-wise), but if allergies aren't a problem then I wouldn't be bothered by that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

This is a great place and right in town for you.* When we get our tripe it comes from here.* Starr's are a wealth of knowledge and will help you get started.
    http://www.paws-itivelyrawfoods.com/index.html

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I feed kibble with a lot of raw. Not half and half but almost. You can feed half and half but bear in mind that your dog won't receive the full benefits of raw food if he is eating kibble as well. Personally, I feed a lot of raw not because my dogs have issues on kibble (well, Murph does, buts that's a whole other story) but because I believe dogs should have some real food in their diet. They REALLY enjoy their raw meals and the RMB's keep their teeth in excellent condition.

Making the full switch to raw is a big decision. You will have to do a lot of research. Feeding a balanced diet is absolutely essential...if you don't, raw can do more harm than good. Also, if you decide to feed a complete raw diet, you WILL need a lot of freezer space. Most people I know who feed raw have a separate freezer.

Thanks everyone!

Labracorn, I'll be sure to check them out!! ;D

blaisberg is offline Member

When we first got Charlie (he was just shy of 2 years old), he had been eating what I consider garbage dog food so I started to cut him over to premium kibble. He got major diarrhea (even with cutting him over really slowly). We couldn't get it to stop - tried boiled hamburger and rice, prescription food (which I can't stand), drugs (also not my preference) but it was going on for weeks. I got totally frustrated with "modern science" and stopped everything the vet had given me and put him on Nature's Variety frozen medallions, and within a day, he was better. Honest!

I find it extremely expensive, though, so it took a while for me to find a good kibble that he could adjust to. He's now on Innova.

My other dog, Evan, recently went through his second knee surgery, and I wanted to boost his health as much as possible in an attempt to stave off any side effects, like infections, so I switched him to raw. I used frozen Bravo... it comes in 2, 5 and 10 lb. rolls that you can partially thaw and cut into portions and return to the freezer. It's got meat, ground bones, veggies, but is not considered balanced, so you need to supplement with an egg here and there, yogurt, and vitamins (which I do regardless of what food my dogs are on).

They get vitamins C, E, B (complex), fish oil and glucosamine/chondroitin/msm.

Bravo is very convenient and the supplements aren't a big deal -it's not like you have to food process veggies as you do when you're doing the real thing.

Someone said that Nature's Variety Raw Instinct is raw kibble - it's not. It's impossible to make kibble without cooking the meat in the process because of the heat. It's grain free, as is Evo, which makes is as close to raw as you can get in a kibble, but it's not raw. They use what we in marketing call "weasle words" to make it sound like it's raw meat, but it's not - they coat the kibble with something that's called "freeze dried raw meat coating" or something to that effect.

I tried Raw Instinct (I was intrigued by the use of clay as an ingredient - since my dogs like to eat clay, I thought maybe they'd like this), but they prefer Evo, and frankly, there's not one thing not to like about Evo.

Evan is now on Evo for breakfast and Bravo for dinner. Charlie's still on Innova because he has a "delicate" constitution that reacts with diarrhea whenever something new comes into play. By the way, I tried full-blown raw with Charlie when he did so well with Nature's Variety but he couldn't digest the bones well. With Nature's Variety and Bravo, the bones are ground so they get the benefit anyways. Evan could probably digest a whole cow.

Hope this helps.
    Jocelyn

Thanks Jocelyn! I'll check out Bravo too.

Labracorn, met the Starrs today at NiagaraDogFest! You're right, they were incredibly informative and helpful!! ;D

;D