cosequin/Glyco Flex combo?

Thread: cosequin/Glyco Flex combo?

Defaultcosequin/Glyco Flex combo?

Sorry if this topic is talked about so much. I did a search on this topic and see that many people provide their dogs with BOTH cosequin DS and Glyco Flex. What is the benefit of doing this? They look like similar meds, except that Glyco Flex has MSM. By giving both, would that be too much Glucosamine (1250 mg per pill)? Right now, I am only giving Cosequin to my lab who is starting to show signs of elbow dysplacia.I am just really confused on what to give her! I started out with Synovi MSM, but I heard that Cosequin DS is what I should be using....HELP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: cosequin/Glyco Flex combo?

There is no need to give both, they are essentially the same thing, just different manufacturers. There may be some difference in the OTHER ingredients but the stuff you want, the glucosamin, chondrotin, and MSM are the same.

Everyone says the one that they give their dog is the best. Our vet recommended Synovi G3 which we gave for a LONG time. I ended up switching to this product: http://www.thewholisticpet.com/morei...Product_ID=600 because I liked the wholistic ingredients and that it had stuff for the coat and prozymes too.

Many just give the human form of the supplement. 1000mg to 1500mg a day is sufficient. 1500 if the dog HAS a problem. 1000 if you are doing maintenance.

labby is offline Senior Member

No they are not the same thing.

THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN GLUCOSAMINE/CHONDRITIN AND GLYCOFLEX

G/C - GLYCOFLEX:
    for a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, I really don't think there is any better than Cosequin. for any dog with HD, I think this should be part of the foundation of the supplementation program.

However, I think that alot of dogs have alot of other problems -- I think there is a lack of circulation, a lack of muscle mass, and just a lack of nutrients in general needed to support the muscles and the rest of the body...the glycoflex, having perna muscle, brewer's yeast, and alfalfa is full of nutrients that most dogs don't get in their diet. I am not confident that there is enough of the high quality gluco/chond. in the glycoflex though.

If one were using this for a dog with no symptoms, no apparent HD, then I think the glycoflex is fine. But for HD, I like using both.

Here is a description of the ingredients of Glycoflex from Balch & Balch's Prescription for Nutritional Healing. I think it's an all around great supplement to help for circulation and muscle support. However, I don't think it can replace a glucosamine/chondroitin product.

The green-lipped mussel (Perna canaliculus) is a species of edible shellfish. They contain numerous amino acids, the building blocks of body proteins, in addition to enzymes and essential trace elements. The minerals they contain are present in a balance similar to that in blood plasma, and these minerals are naturally chelated by the amino acids, making for better assimilation into the body.

Sea mussel aids in the functioning of the cardiovascular system, the lymphatic system, the endocrine system, the eyes, connective tissues, and mucous membranes. They help to reduce inflammation and relieve the pain and stiffness of arthritis. They also promote the healing of wounds and burns.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So, do you give your dogs the regular Glycoflex or something else. I see that there is GlycoFlex, GlycoFlex II, and GlycoFlex III. And just to reiterate, you also give Cosequin on top of this, right? Cody (my black female lab) had an xray when she was 1 which showed signs of elbow dysplasia, and I was giving her Synovi MSM for the last 3 years. She has not had an xray since, so I really don't know if that has been working, but I do notice that she limps occasionally after playing and her leg shakes. I recently switched to Cosequin because I heard from this site that many people use it and love it. But, I just wanted to make sure that she is getting everything that she needs. When I looked them up:

GlycoFlex II has 600 mg Perna Canalinulus, 750 Glucosamine HCL, 500 MSM, 181 Brewer's yeast, 152 Steric Acid, 100 DMG, 67 Manganese Amino Acid Chelate

Cosequin DS has 500 Glucosamine, 400 Sodium Chondrotin, 33 Manganese Ascorbal, 5 Manganese

Synovi MSM has 800 mg MSM, 500 Glucosamine HCL, 300 Pernal Canaliculum, 10 Vitamin C

That is why I was confused, because if I give Cody one of each (Cosequin DS and Glycoflex) in the morning and one of each at night as directed, she will have 2,500 mgs Glucosamine....which is too much, correct? Thanks for you help....just trying to get a better understanding of what to do, and what has worked for others :-\.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

My dog has Elbow Dysplasia (ED). Who told you that your dog had signs of ED? Was it your regular vet? I found through dealing with my dog's ED that regular vets simply are not trained enough to make correct diagnosis for many orthopaedic issues. You really need an orthopaedic vet to look at your dog's X-rays. Is there an ortho vet near you? It might be a good idea since it's been several years since the original X-ray to have a new X-ray taken and interpreted by an orthovet. Since you say your dog is limping, it's probably true that she has some form of joint desease. It's usually good to know the degree of ED and what kind: FCP or UAP.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sorry, Labby, your post went right over my head.

Are you saying some glucosamin is better than other glucosamin or are you saying that one brand of joint supplement is better than the other because of the additonal stuff such as perna muscle, brewer's yeast, and alfalfa? And how much Glucosamin, chondrotin, MSM do you feel is necessary or sufficient....for maintenance and for orthopedic issues?

I guess I don't see why you would use both Glycoflex AND Cosequin DS unless they each have separate additional supplements that the other doesn't. Like Cosequin has the chondrotin, Glycoflex II and III has the MSM. I heard that chondrotin wasn't even as important as glucosamin/MSM, if that is even true....

Or is it a matter of having a "wish list" of sorts of all the supplements needed for good health, and since no one formula has all, you combine?

And would what you said about using BOTH for HD hold true for someone who thinks their dog has ED? What about if the dog has had ED surgery already? Maddy has had ED surgery and limps on occaison, so if I can read up on something that is BETTER for her...she is otherwise healthy and in good weight, and thoroughly exercised. If she were your dog, what would you put her on?

Is that book you mentioned really good? Worth getting?

You can PM if you would prefer... I would appreciate your input.

Some glucosamine is better than other...Cosequin is the gold standard for dogs.

The primary differnece with glycoflex is it contains the perna mussel - with provided benefits that glucosamine may not.

MSM is purported to have some pain releiving qualities.

I agree with Labby, I was in the same situation but for HD and after using GlycoFlex III wirh Cosequin, Bear has been better. What I do is a cut the pills so I dont give her more than 1000mg.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

What Laura said. She said it very well. I give 2 Cosamine DS and 2 Glycoflex 600mg tablets everyday.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie