diet for allergies

Thread: diet for allergies

lab13 Guest

Defaultdiet for allergies

As I read below on the site about allergies and diet, someone said that their dog got better on a veg diet.

I thought dogs needed a meat diet??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: diet for allergies

I don't know why someone would just feed a vegetarian diet to a dog. It certainly does not have the nutrion a dog needs. When I went to college there was a rumor that a local famous vegatarian musician had his dog on a vegetarian diet because he was...the animal people were in an uproar. You can do it, but I am sure it's not good for the dog.

I didn't read the other post, but if I had to make a snap judgement, all that tells me is that the dog's allergy issue is due to a particular KIND of meat that the person who claimed all veggies was better didn't bother to sort out.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Sorry...dogs are carnivores and I don't agree with putting them on a vegetarian diet, allergies or no allergies. Not right at all in my opinion. I'm not sure how a dog could possibly thrive on a vegetation diet anyway -- nutritionally a pure veggie diet is NOT a balanced diet for an animal designed to eat meat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Dogs need a certain amount of protein to be healthy. The dogs with food allergies are often allergic to large proteins from various meats. There is a perscription dog food (can't remember the name) which has hydrolyzed soy as the protein source. The soy protein is broken down to smaller amino acids for digestion. Maybe this is the veg diet they were referring to.

lab13 Guest

Neighbors realtive promotes Wellness Fish and Potato for allergies. Anyone tried it on here?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

My neighbour feeds vegetarian and his dog seems fine. It isn't something I would do. Ernie has allergies to dry food and I feed him a meat, chicken and fish and mix in a few veges to fill it out.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Buddy and Bailey is offline Senior Member

my friends dog is on a veg. diet and is fine. we tried buddy on one cause no other food was working and he did horrible- I guess it depends on the dog. I know there was a protien source and it was at 17 % but not sure what it was .