Puppy

Thread: Puppy

DefaultPuppy

Well i still have the dog i found on the side of the road... hes so sweet. Hes getting fixed tomorrow and added to the rescues website this weekend so hopefully he will find his forever home soon.

I have been feeding my 2 boys the Natural balance Venison and brown rice. I didnt buy a seperate food for the pup. The directions says to double the qty given to pups. Hes getting a total of 4 cups a day and a few treats.. Hes definetly a chewer.. loves bones! Hes about 6 months now we think and has gained 12 lbs in the last 3 weeks.. hes was really skinny when i first got him. Vet told me he would probably weight 50lbs within a month of getting his hookworms taken care of (hes about 40 per my scale right now).. Should i continue feeding him this much? I can still feel his hip bones pretty good and his ribs not as much as before... Hes soooo cute when its feeding time he does the butt wag and jumps up in the air... and the food is gone in about a min or so...

just thought i would get your opinions. thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy

If his poop is not too soft you can probably increase his food slightly - do it slowly over a few days. You should be able to feel his ribs when you press gently but not see them. If you can, feed him three times a day until his weight increases.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I was going to say just keep what you are doing. 2 cups a meal sounds fine and feeding twice a day sounds fine. It's what we did with our dogs at that age. The pup will gain weight just getting the right amount of food now. At least you don't have to worry you are giving too many treats like many do...just let the pup enjoy whatever he gets to eat!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

he went to get Neutered this morning and you should have seen the sad look on his face when i couldnt give him any food. I was fixing everybodys dish and i looked down and saw him and said shoot u cant eat this morning. I felt soooo bad... cause his butt was wagging and he was just so excited about eating.... had to put him up in his crate and feed the other 2. Going to pick him up this afternoon. I am sure at the vet he will now know what can food is!