Toys and chew suggestion
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toys and chew suggestion

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultToys and chew suggestion

Ok after my ordeal with Buck...well we are not out of the woods yet...
    Anyhow...I have decided no more raw hide for him. Even though we don't know for sure what is causing all his problems. I just have this gutt feeling it's raw hide related.
    Just like any labby he loves to chew. He has kongs but no matter how I prepare them he is just not into them. I get nervous about giving him stuffed toys cuz he rips them apart. The rubber squeaky toys make me nervous too since he can break em as well.

SOO... what's out there that I can get that's safe and fun for him? I have to add I never leave him alone to play with his toys or chew on his rawhide but still things went wrong He likes to chew on something edible since he loves to eat...go figure
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Toys and chew suggestion

Have you tried raw meaty bones?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Have you tried raw meaty bones?
    I'd agree w/ this. Look in your grocery store for marrow bones. Make sure the first time that you give one to Buck that you scrape out the majority of the marrow (save it and refill it in the bone) and only give him the bone for a limited amount of time (say 30 minutes). They can definitely upset some tummies. You can also freeze the bone and reuse it. Don't leave it out -- either refridgerate or freeze.

Also, have you tried Nylabones? Greenies even makes a very hard, non-edible bone that is similiar to a Nylabone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I haven't tried the raw meaty bone yet. I think I will give it a go once he is all back to normal.

He does have a nylabone but again he isn't terribly interested in it. He likes to carry around and gnaw on soft toys but very few withstand his teeth.

Some time back I read about mutt mops on here. How are those at withstanding abuse?

I think I wil buy a big nylabone and give it a try again. The one he has I bought for him when he was wee little. He's too big for it now so he doesn't get it anymore.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Well, when we had rawhides, Sami was much more interested in those than Nylabones. However, now that Nylabones are the only thing laying around, she'll chew on those several times a day. They do come in different shapes, textures and even flavors.

I remember those mutt mops -- very cute. But have never tried one.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Well, when we had rawhides, Sami was much more interested in those than Nylabones.* However, now that Nylabones are the only thing laying around, she'll chew on those several times a day.* They do come in different shapes, textures and even flavors.*

I remember those mutt mops -- very cute.* But have never tried one.*

Good point...if he doesn't have rawhides to chew on then he will chew on what's available...doh! I am just not thinking straight anymore lol.

If you are going to try raw bones, stick with the marrow bones and not knuckle bones. With knuckle bones, they are softer and they can bite of chunks and swallow those.

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    If you are going to try raw bones, stick with the marrow bones and not knuckle bones.* With knuckle bones, they are softer and they can bite of chunks and swallow those.
    duely noted

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Definitely try the bones. You won't regret it and Buck will be one happy boy.

I would try red barn bones with peanut butter... I use these for my pups that I foster they work great.... when the peanut butter is gone I resuse them.... I just buy they peanut butter filling and stuff them myself. I also freeze them in kongs so it takes alot longer for them to go through

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast