Nail/pad injury...what happened???

Thread: Nail/pad injury...what happened???

DefaultNail/pad injury...what happened???

I went to clip a little off Barnsley's nails today ( I am trying to get his quicks back also, that's another matter though) and I noticed some dried blood around one of his nails. It looks like the skin next to the nail separated from the nail. I can move it and see a small amount of pink flesh. He hasn't been licking at it or favoring it and doesn't act like it feels terrible when I mess with it. Then I check his other foot and there is one nail on that side with a little dried blood next to it also. I have no idea how this may have happened. We haven't gone anywhere lately. I wonder if he did something to it playing bitey face with his new little sister??? He jumps around and slips and slids on the floor sometimes.

Anybody else every have this happen? Any advice? I am going to clean it up and put some AB ointment on it for now. We will obviously be skipping his walk tonight also.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nail/pad injury...what happened???

Gus nearly ripped his dew claw off on Saturday. He did it while out for a walk, there was a little bit of blood and he kept on licking his foot as well. Took him in to work (at vet clinic) with me on Sunday and the vet pulled the nail off.......it was pretty loose. I have been bathing his nail a couple of times a day with dilute chlorhex but will probably stop that now and he has a weeks worth of oral ABs.

It seems to be fairly common for dogs to catch a nail. You might want to just keep an eye on the nail as it grows out, it might just need an extra bit of clipping until it is back to normal.

Won't someone please feed me!

Maybe the last time you cut the nails you cut back too far. It takes awhile for the quick to go back.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It is not the quick area of the nail that is bleeding, it is where the nail attaches to the pad of the foot. ???

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

The first two things that come to mind are trauma and nail bed infection.* If it doesn't seem tender, I would just keep it clean....maybe soak it in something like chlorhexadine once or twice daily.* If the problem persisted more than a few days, I would have it checked.*