Question re obstructions & rawhide

Thread: Question re obstructions & rawhide

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion re obstructions & rawhide

I've been reading the thread on the other forum re Buck and his ordeal. And several others posted about obstructions and surgery too. What I am wondering is, does rawhide commonly cause obstructions? If so, why are there so many rawhide products marketed for dogs? I'm very alarmed over this.... what else causes obstructions?

Buddy has a few rawhide bones, chews etc. He doesn't chew them a lot, he's much more interested in his real bones or other toys, but should I take all the rawhide away and not give him any more?

Barb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question re obstructions & rawhide

The fear with rawhide is because it's not digestable. Rawhide forms a big sticky gummy mess when it's been chewed, and if it's a big enough chunk, can choke or obstruct your dog.

Also, in some countries, the preservative used in rawhide is arsenic.

Be careful, because some treats that are labelled digestable, eg. Greenies, can also obstruct a dog if the chunk is big enough. Connie (AngusFangus) went through this with Angus and a Greenie (or a similar treat).

I have never allowed Henry to have rawhide because I know he's the type of dog to tear off big pieces. I just can't risk it. I also used to give him Greenies until I knew better. Now he gets Nylabones and marrow bones, and is still carefully supervised with either.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Rawhide certainly can cause obstructions but so can just about anything.

My dog had an obstruction from eating a plastic toy bird. This is what he ate;

Feeding rawhide is a personal choice. I do occasionally but I prefer to give mine raw meaty bones.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I think alot of it depends on how the dog uses the rawhide. Sami actually rips them apart and eats them. One night she discovered a rawhide that hadn't been put away and she consumed almost the entire thing (it was a large, knotted one) in 30 minutes. What happened at 4 a.m. wasn't pleasant!

Now she only gets nylabones and she seems content to chew on those.

Rawhide causes a lot of obstructions. The safest chewer is a durable nylabone.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I don't like them yes, because of the obstructions...but because they give Rider the poops....I don't like that. So we stick to marrow bones and other chews.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

The only rawhides I let Oona have are the braids because she can't tear off large chunks of them. I take off the strips at the top and bottom that hold them together and take them away when they get so small that the pieces seperate. The only place I've found them are at Pet's Supply Plus.
    Olie

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We've never had problems with rawhide and any of our dogs. So it's really a personal choice. I hear more problems of labs eating non-edible junk than problems due to rawhide obstructions. Labs have eating coins, nails, golf balls, rocks, toys, socks, stuffing from toys...anything.

So, it my mind, it's better to keep the house clean, teach your dog to chew on appropriate items and supervise while chewing on rawhide. It's just one of the many chew options in our house.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-15-'01) gets half a raw beef knuckle bone once a week.* But FIRST I cut off all the suet and as much of the cartilage as I can because there are several small bones within that which she could easily swallow and get an obstruction.* Also, the knuckle bones are softer than the leg/marrow bones and she is able to sometimes break a small piece off which I immediately throw away to avoid problems

When she was a pup and in her chew-everything stage, I found the Hartz Mountain chew sticks helpful.* Those were made of tiny peices of rawhide held together with a flavored, digestible glue.* Whether it was my ankle, glasses, computer wires -- Puff preferred the chew sticks, thank heavens.* *They're about cigarillo size.

Many pet stores carry these which come from 3rd world countries and lack any address, company name or 800 telephone number to call.* Puff NEVER had a digestive problem from them.* I would NOT feed ANY that were NOT made in the USA or the UK or UK countries where there are strict* laws governing animal food processing.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748