Puppy Treats
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Treats

DefaultPuppy Treats

I have 2 5 week old female labs, they will be 6 weeks this coming Saturday. I am feeding them Pedigree Puppy dry food. But, my question is, what are some good puppy treats for them. I got them some Ol Roy Puppy biscuits, but they will not eat them. So I got some of the New Milk Bone chewy Filet Mignon and one of them will eat them great, and the other will kind of eat it, but leave pieces behind. I normally give them a couple a day, but i'm trying to find something that maybe they will both enjoy alot better, but easy to eat at such a young age? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Treats

To be perfectly honest with you, Pedigree is not the best food out there.* It is full of fillers, i.e., grains and glutens, etc.* Because of so many fillers, you pups will poop more.* You will have to feed more of this food in order to satisfy their needs.* Ol' Roy is not the greatest either.* Most of their stuff is preserved with BHA/BHT, which is a carcinogen.* A lot of Milk Bone products are also preserved with BHA/BHT.* Depending on where you shop, i.e., supermarket, etc., you would be better off feeding Iams puppy or Purine One puppy.* The next best thing would be to go to either Petco or Petsmart.* They carry better quality foods.* This LINK can help explain a little about dog foods.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

re: their usual food.*

There's not universal agreement but I think a majority of Lab owners on this forum favor feeding a Large Breed Puppy food for the first 12 months.* Also, most people feed dry kibble mixed with some luke warm water just before serving -- preferrably 3X/day for the first 6 months.

Diamond, Eukanuba, Nutro Natural Choice, ProPlan are among the premium dog foods.

Iams, Nutro Max,* and Purina One are cheaper versions of the last 3.*

Diamond is a quality product and makes a LBP food that's VERY reasonably priced (see http://www.diamondpetfood.com for location of dealers).
    {edit: I just looked at Diamond's website; LBP food is no longer offered in the Diamond line but it IS in the "Diamond Natural" line.)

Perhaps others will add their opinions re: age, food, etc.

Re: your question of treats.

IMO, the usual ideal treat is to measure out the dog's next meal ration, put it in a plastic bag, and then dispense a few nuggets from that as needed for treats.* That assures you're not overfeeding or giving something unhealthy or unbalanced.

For special treats, you can try dehydrated banana slices (or bite off a small piece to give).* Most dogs love many fruits. (Stay away from grapes, raisins, Kiwi, avocado, and fruit pits -- peach, apricot, plum, etc.).

A surefire magnetic special treat is to slice hot dogs into nickle (5 cents) size pieces, lightly sprinkle them with garlic powder, and then nuke them in the microwave enough to set the garlic.

Also, children's animal crackers have a lot of appeal to most dogs.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Their teeth are still developing...because they are really TOO YOUNG to be away from their momma and their littermates. Kibble is fine for treats as is cheerios...but I would not push the treats on small babies as of yet.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi has alway's gotten some of her kibbles, we feed lbp eukanuba, for a real treat I also use there puppy bisquit's- as she has gotten older she loves carrot's, but we are pretty sparing on the treat's. Mostly with training and even now when training she get's the treat's sometimes but not alway's. Just the possibiity is enough to keep her on track. Good luck with the pup's, they are such wonderful dog's.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with the others...Pedigree is a terrible food.

PEDIGREE PUPPY® Food for Puppies Original Chicken Flavor

INGREDIENTS
    GROUND YELLOW CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, RICE, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH MIXED TOCOPHEROLS, SOURCE OF VITAMIN E), NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, WHEAT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, WHEAT FLOUR, CARAMEL COLOR, WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, TAURINE*, VITAMINS (DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], CHOLINE CHLORIDE,L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A ACETATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MARIGOLD MEAL (SOURCE OF LUTEIN*), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

I'm no nutritionist but I don't think you need to be one to see how bad those ingredients are.

My advice would be to get them off Pedigree ASAP and NOT to use commercial dog treats, especially Ol Roy ones...they are even lower quality than Pedigree. Use bits of chopped up meat/fruit/veggies etc.

What about the Science Diet Large Breed Puppy, how good is it?

labby is offline Senior Member

Science Diet is garbage.

Try Eukanuba or Purina. They set the standard and everyone else uses their research.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

How did you happen to get two puppies so young?? Most breeders legally can't sell pups before 8 weeks.

At 5 weeks, I would turn whatever high quality kibble you end up with soft with warm water and stop feeding any treats until the pups are much older.

they were free to me, the breeder has papers on the father, but not on the mother. They weren't meant to be bread yet, it just happened. The mother wasn't quite a year, and she just stopped letting the puppies feed off her. So hes been feeding off of bottle for about 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast