Vaccinations during / after Heat Cycle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations during / after Heat Cycle

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultVaccinations during / after Heat Cycle

Should vaccinations be avoided during a heat cycle? And if so, how long after the heat cycle should I wait?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Vaccinations during / after Heat Cycle

Something I just read said that you should avoid vaccinating while in season. I believe that it stated the best time to vaccinate is right in between the cycles. Will try to locate the source.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    Something I just read said that you should avoid vaccinating while in season.* I believe that it stated the best time to vaccinate is right in between the cycles.* Will try to locate the source.
    Thank you! So I guess that leads me to wonder what (if anything) will happen if she is 2 or 3 months late getting her shots. Is there a huge risk? This would be her first set of vaccinations after all of her puppy shots.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I can't locate the source at the moment, I thought that I had read it on the Great Dane Lady's web site somewhere ... If it were my dog waiting would not bother me but that is just me. How old is your girl and what shots has she had?
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

ThatsMyGirl Guest

She had the standard puppy shots (DHPP) at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. Her 1 year old shots are due in October. She is also due for her rabies in October.

She is currently 13 months old. She is not in heat yet ... obviously, at this age, it could be any day now.

Also meant to ask if she is going to shows, or in obedience classes, anywhere where she is around other dogs? I would also try to seperate the rabies from the DHP by a couple of weeks if possible. I know that after the one year shots my vet recommends vaccination every 3 years.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I had planned to put her back in obedience class in the fall. However, if she hasn't gone into heat by the time it starts, I'll wait. It would be my luck she'd go in and I'd have to sit out for 4 weeks.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Why not ask the vet?

My feeling is that being late on a few shots isn't going to put the dog in danger. Mine got titers for years and no shots, so chances are the last vaccination is still good...at least for a little while I am sure.

Rabies you definately need, only because every state is so strict about making sure each dog has their shots etc. We let Grace have hers a month early because of the timing of when I took her to her new vet and when it was due. I can't imagine how it would hurt to give a rabies shot during heat. It's not like you are giving a shot during pregnancy.

WigWag Guest

I would get her rabies now - that way you can get a 3 year vaccine as some vet practices won't give a 3 year booster if the 1 year is out of date (even by a day!). Then I would wait on the rest if you don't want to give them during a season. I actually never thought about it but I wouldn't bring a girl into the vet office if she was in season. If she was due for vaccines and came into season right when I made the appointment I would just wait until immediately after she finished. I have given vaccines right before and right after. I give all vaccines every 3 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast