cod liver oil supplements / vit C
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cod liver oil supplements / vit C

lab13 Guest

Defaultcod liver oil supplements / vit C

I have been searching some posts and find the cod liver oil helps some dogs with allergies. How much do you give ? liquid or pills? and for how long? Is it safe to give long term to help with allergies?

Also read the vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. Has anyone tried it with success for allergies??
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: cod liver oil supplements / vit C

I personally give 1 Tblsp once a day, in the summer cut back to 1 teaspoon. I use the liquid.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Same here.* I use 1 tablespoon a day. Not sure if I will cut back though this is the only thing that worked for her itchies. I think as long as it works I will leave it alone.* I use the liq too. i started it in June and this is the longest we have gone without a trip to the vet for her ears, and no yeast problems either. It was mostly yeast infections in the left ear with slight irritation in the right. Zoey had yeasty paws too. Zoey has been swimming alot too and still good ears. You may understand this next statement I 'm doing a happy dance over here. Since November when we got her we had been to the vet on average every month.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I won't use cod liver oil. The liver filters out all the toxins, etc. in the body so it makes sense that the liver is full of toxic leftovers.

I will use fish oil though.

Laura

lab13 Guest

Ah, good point Labby. Thanks.

When I have looked at the fish oils they are all mixes. Does it matter whether they are mixed formulas of fish oils or just salmon oil?

I wouldn't think it would matter. If I could get salmon oil, I'd use that first, then the basic fish oil.

Laura

lab13 Guest

Actually what would be more effective - salmon oil pills or salmon from the tin?

Also, has anyone thought about my post on the vit C for allergies too? Thanks

You'd prolly have less problems with the salmon oil but the salmon from the tin is prolly cheaper and you wouldn't have to give it daily. Six and one half dozen of the other. Whatever is best for you to give.

Haven't heard that about Vitamin C.

Laura

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I found it interesting:

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/976632990/fetch/564619/
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have had my dogs get ill off salmon from the can. They are fine with fresh salmon and the chunk pink salmon that comes out of the tuna sized can. But the large can (which is really the ONLY cost effective one) sometimes makes them ill (with the skin and bones, even though it's supposed to be good).

Mine get a fish oil capsule with each meal and they have been doing great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast