Low on options....allergies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low on options....allergies

DefaultLow on options....allergies

Well we have paid the big bills, we wipe her down every time she comes in from outdoors, we home cook for her, and we have her started on allergy shots, and I bathe her in medicated shampoo twice a week. But:

She cannot have steroids (prednisone) as it made her incontinent.
    She cannot have Atopica as it made her vomit continuously...as in for two days after the last dose and she had not even got up to a full dose yet.

I have stopped going to the dermatologist as he does not have much more to off to her until the allergy shots homefully work.

I am giving Benadryl three times a day which is helping, but she really needs it four times a day. Without Benadryl she is just eating herself. She is still on ear medication from the Dermatologist and I have purple stuff on order.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might help her?

While you are thinking may I ask that you pray that the allergy shots work and that winter comes early in Michigan?

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Low on options....allergies

Read this: http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...ini_course.htm Yeast problems are very often misdiagnosed as allergies. I have not bought the Nzymes products but I know of people who have had success with them.
    With my girl, I have seen a huge improvement just be adding digestive enzymes to her meals. Just a few weeks ago, she was mad with itchy red swollen feet, yeasty ears and huge zits and and oozing bumps on her chin and this has been going on since February. I identified a chicken allergy, but I must say the digestive enzymes have made a huge difference. Her ears are clear, her feet are not itchy any more, the bumps on her chin have cleared up, she just scratches a few times a day now. Very pleased
    Have you done a full thyroid panel on her? If you haven't, you might want to consider it.
    There is also a nice article in there on allergies.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Hello!

What digestive enzymes do you use and how much?

Thanks,

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Go to the health food store and get the good refridgerated ones. Use the human dose.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Also, what food do you have her on?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

lab13 Guest

Sounds similar to our problem. The antihistamines only partially work.

What are the enzymes called ? is it acidolphilus or like protease, etc?? I am not sure if I have the names correct?

I might look into these as well........you never know.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken, in addition to the above advice, you can also give Benadryl up to every 4-6 hours, and up to about 1mg/lb of body weight. There are a ton of other antihistamines you can try as well...starting with a lower dose and increasing them. Ask your vet about which kinds- most are available over-the-counter. Any antihistamine can make them extremely drowsy, though it may be worth it while awaiting the effects of the allergy shots. Consider also contacting a holistic veterinarian...sometimes a "detox" period is all they need, followed by a different food/supplement.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I've seen chlorpheniramine work in some cases. It's worth a try. See if your vet can get it for you?

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I was pulling my hair out along with Zoey. Constant yeast over growth her paws were itchy. Her ears were always infected i had her on Ketocanazole firever. I started useing cod liver oil and I have had a six week free of the vet visits. She is not itcing and her ears are good. It almost seems too simple but it had worked.

She is on a homecooked diet of venison and potatos. Prior to Summer this took her to the only month in her life with me (she was rescued) where she did not need medication.

Based on the yeast issue, I might could try brown rice? Anyone else have carb ideas?

Thanks for thinking on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast