Just Labradors banner

Low on options....allergies

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Fallriver 
#1 ·
Well we have paid the big bills, we wipe her down every time she comes in from outdoors, we home cook for her, and we have her started on allergy shots, and I bathe her in medicated shampoo twice a week. But:

She cannot have steroids (prednisone) as it made her incontinent.
She cannot have Atopica as it made her vomit continuously...as in for two days after the last dose and she had not even got up to a full dose yet.

I have stopped going to the dermatologist as he does not have much more to off to her until the allergy shots homefully work.

I am giving Benadryl three times a day which is helping, but she really needs it four times a day. Without Benadryl she is just eating herself. She is still on ear medication from the Dermatologist and I have purple stuff on order.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might help her?

While you are thinking may I ask that you pray that the allergy shots work and that winter comes early in Michigan?

Thanks,

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

See less See more
#2 ·
Read this: http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/systemic_yeast_mini_course.htm Yeast problems are very often misdiagnosed as allergies. I have not bought the Nzymes products but I know of people who have had success with them.
With my girl, I have seen a huge improvement just be adding digestive enzymes to her meals. Just a few weeks ago, she was mad with itchy red swollen feet, yeasty ears and huge zits and and oozing bumps on her chin and this has been going on since February. I identified a chicken allergy, but I must say the digestive enzymes have made a huge difference. Her ears are clear, her feet are not itchy any more, the bumps on her chin have cleared up, she just scratches a few times a day now. Very pleased :)
Have you done a full thyroid panel on her? If you haven't, you might want to consider it.
There is also a nice article in there on allergies.

#5 ·
Also, what food do you have her on?

G
#6 ·
Sounds similar to our problem. The antihistamines only partially work.

What are the enzymes called ? is it acidolphilus or like protease, etc?? I am not sure if I have the names correct?

I might look into these as well........you never know.

#7 ·
If I'm not mistaken, in addition to the above advice, you can also give Benadryl up to every 4-6 hours, and up to about 1mg/lb of body weight. There are a ton of other antihistamines you can try as well...starting with a lower dose and increasing them. Ask your vet about which kinds- most are available over-the-counter. Any antihistamine can make them extremely drowsy, though it may be worth it while awaiting the effects of the allergy shots. Consider also contacting a holistic veterinarian...sometimes a "detox" period is all they need, followed by a different food/supplement.

#9 ·
I was pulling my hair out along with Zoey. Constant yeast over growth her paws were itchy. Her ears were always infected i had her on Ketocanazole firever. I started useing cod liver oil and I have had a six week free of the vet visits. She is not itcing and her ears are good. It almost seems too simple but it had worked.

#10 ·
She is on a homecooked diet of venison and potatos. Prior to Summer this took her to the only month in her life with me (she was rescued) where she did not need medication.

Based on the yeast issue, I might could try brown rice? Anyone else have carb ideas?

Thanks for thinking on it.

#12 ·
Ernie has allergies. I don;t give him anything with preservative or dried food.Three times a week i give him fish in natural oil. Does wonders for his coat. Erns has beef, vegetable, and sometimes a little rice as rice casn cause allergies.

It took about 6-8 weeks for him to start feeling better.

#13 ·
Yes, use the acidolphilus. It helps to create better balance in the gut and prevent the yeast overgrowth.
As for the carbohydrates, your carnivore doesn't need carbohydrates! Why not try EVO and get her off the grains completely, or beter yet, put her on a pre-prepared raw diet until you get this under control. Yeast feeds on starches!!!!!
For those of you using meat for allergies, don't forget your dog needs calcium too!

#14 ·
Guess what, I just learned from a human friend who has been battling cancer that she has to take these same enzymes. The antibiotics she has been on have started to make her itch like crazy as they have killed off all of the good bugs in her body as well.

Fasinating that they know this about humans.

Cross fingers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.