Puncture wound not healing: Puff's visit to KSU's CVM Teaching Hospital and bill
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puncture wound not healing: Puff's visit to KSU's CVM Teaching Hospital and bill

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuncture wound not healing: Puff's visit to KSU's CVM Teaching Hospital and bill

About 10-14 days ago, Puff got a small puncture wound on her left neck just forward of the shoulder. I think it probably happened when she ran through some brush to retrieve her Training Dummy.* *I looked at it as soon as I saw blood there when we got home (from our every morning hour offleash walk in a nature preserve) thinking maybe there was a splinter.* I didn't see any and presumed it would heal okay, it was a minor wound.*

But it didn't heal.* The scab got bigger and she became touchy about it.* Wednesday it was seeping diluted blood so I called Kansas State's CVM Teaching Hospl and tried to get in yesterday but they were booked except for emergencies.* So we went today -- it's a 1 hour drive, mostly Interstate.

We were seen promptly at 2 PM by a 4th year VMed student (as usual) who got her vitals.* The vet we now usually see, Dr. Artzer, was on vacation so we chose Dr. Nelson because she'd previously seen Puff. Dr. Nelson repeated the vitals (as usual) -- Puff's temp was mildly elevated.* I also took along a couple stool specimens and specifically asked them to test for Giardiasis.

They took Puff back to shave around the wound to see it better, did a cytology test, and then flushed the wound with Betadyne(?).* Dr. Nelson said she probed to see if she could find any splinter or foreign object and could not.* Puff was examined or treated for at least 50 minutes of our 60 minute appointment.

I take Puff to KSU's CVM-TH for two reasons.* One, I think the quality of vet skill is generally better than that of average vets, and the second is that I think the fees are typically lower.

They asked me to apply a warm moist compress to the wound 3X/day for 10 minutes.* She's to get 750 mg. of Cephalexin* 2X/day.* They'll do the fecal float and e-mail or call me Monday or Tuesday.* Puff can't swim for 2 weeks.* And she has to wear a T-shirt to keep dirt, etc., out of the wound area when she goes our for our every morning 70 min. offleash walk, retrieving runs.* And I assume that will also apply to our LabFest Saturday afternoons.

FWIW, the bill:

Exam, pet center____________________________$ 13.00 (listed as "recheck" in error, should be $25)

Wound treatment_____________________________16.00

Cytology In House____________________________13.00

Cephalexin, 250 mg, #28_______________________12.08

Cephalexin, 500 mg., #28_______________________12.08

Fecal Floatation Ridley_________________________14.40

Giardia Antigen Snap Test______________________16.80

Payment by check______________________________$ 97.36
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Puncture wound not healing: Puff's visit to KSU's CVM Teaching Hospital and bill

Glad to hear that Puff was taken care of. I hope her wound heals quickly.

I think your bill is very reasonable. I can't seem to get out of my vet for under $100.

DefaultRe: Puncture wound not healing: Puff's visit to KSU's CVM Teaching Hospital and bill

I think maybe half or 2/3rds of the CVMs/SVMs allow people to self refer while the others require a referral from a vet.

There are probably a host of factors that go into the decision of which way that will go.

I suspect that in the case of Kansas State University's College of Vet Medicine Teaching Hospital it's mainly because Manhattan, KS, where the university (& CVM) is located, is a small city without enough clientele to supply enough cases for the students to see.* So they encourage self-referral.

Whatever the reason, a link to the Schools and Colleges of VetMed in Canada and the USA is below and you can locate the ones near you (it really doesn't matter whether you're within that state/province or not, if they take self referrals, they take self referrals).* However, some, like the U.Penn CVM (where they're treating Barbaro) may have some restrictions on treating specific types of* problems; UPenn wants any orthopedic problems to have a vet referral.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetnet.html* *

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Hope Puff heals up soon!

That is a very reasonable vet bill

Sheesh! I was at the vet today because I thought maybe Buck had kennel cough or something. Turns out it may be allergies.

Vet Bill = 50 bucks for talking to me for 10 mins!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

DefaultRe: Puncture wound not healing: Puff's visit to KSU's CVM Teaching Hospital and

Bob I hope she is ok.
    Olie

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I hope Puff has a speedy recovery! WOW on your vet bill- that's great! I pay $45 for an office visit, $30 for 40 cephalexin pills, and $32 for the giardia test.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

sorry to hear about Puff's problem, & wishing her a speedy recovery!
    am in total melt-down ENVY at your vet bill. from here, it would take that much money for gasoline to get to Tufts [our nearest school--and i feel lucky to have it, but it's out of the question for 'regular' stuff, sadly]

DefaultTee-shirt problems and solutions, I hope

On* our return from KSU's CVM-TH, we stopped at Kohl's to get the recommended Tee-shirts. I searched through their stock of young kids' underwear and found a pack of 3 cotton Tees that looked like they'd fit.* Luckily, they did but quickly stretched the neck out enough that Puff's wound (just below the ruff of her neck on her left shoulder) was no longer covered.

So I bought some long white athletic shoe laces and made loops around the Tee-shirt's neck and Puff's collar.* That solved one problem but created another one when it came time to get Puff out of it and the Tee ready for the washing machine.

So today JC Penney's was having a sooper sale and I decided it was a good time to get some things I needed.* Also found some other things I had to have but didn't need.

Then I thought, hey, why not browse children's clothing for a heavier Tee for Puff?

I was sorely tempted by some that were much heavier and with hearts, or another that had "Princess" and spangles all across the front.* But $12 for something that might not work and in a color I didn't like?* Nah.

I finally found a white one, much heavier than the ones from Kohls, with a bit of spandex in it and some small beaded decoration around the front of the neck; it has very short (almost no) sleeves and came in many sizes of which the largest was "6X 1/2 PLUS"* Tag price was $15 but with the sale and extra discount it was $3.86 w/tax.

I bought one and came home to try it on Puff.* It fits great and the spandex is a real help.* I no longer have to make a knot at the usual bottom to keep Puff's back legs from getting tangled with it.

I immediately went back to JCP to buy a couple more but could find only one more in Puff's size.* I got it.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I hope Puff is ok now.

I think that bill looks reasonable. I know some vets charges are good then some charge horrendous prices. i.e. $85.00 just to get into the office, then medication etc on top.

Good idea kids shopping for Puff.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

The wound is looking MUCH better and is obviously healing.* There's a hole in the skin about 1/4" (6 mm) in diameter and a ring of pink about the same width around that.* But no more blood oozing out and it's much less touchy (ouchy to Puff).

The JCP Tees didn't work as I'd hoped.*

Putting Puff's front legs through the arm holes,* the Tee looked fine and form fitting (much better than the all cotton previous Tees).* But as soon as she started running, the neck hole enlarged enough so that the wound was exposed to the dust and pollen, etc. Had the wound been farther back, say on a shoulder, flank or back, it would've been great.

So I had her hop up on a boulder so I didn't have to bend down so far and I removed her legs from the Tee and just left it around her neck.* The spandex kept it tight enough so it didn't flap around much.*

There's a neck warmer I've seen some skiers use instead of (or over) a scarf.* Don't know what they're properly called -- kind of like the turtle neck part of a turtle neck sweater.* At any rate, that's what Puff looked like and very fortunately, she didn't object at all or try to get it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast