Purina One?

Thread: Purina One?

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

DefaultPurina One?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before...sorry if it's a repeat.

Boomer got sick of Iams and refuses to eat it anymore, so recently we switched to Purina One Lamb & Rice. As he always does with new food, he LOVES it. He's probably been on it for about a week, to a week and a half. I did notice that he is pooping a little less...possibly due to less "extras" in the food? I always thought Iams was really good quality....anyway.

Anyone else feed Purina One? Good luck, bad luck with it? I have to admit, the commercials sold me on it. :-[ I don't know anybody that uses it, so I'm hoping someone here has some opinions. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Purina One?

purina one lamb and rice is what we feed our older dogs. Boomer gets science diet simply bc we couldn't find big bags of one large breed puppy so when he is old enough he will get one also. we started feeding it since it doesn't have much corn in and dogs can't digest corn. My mother in law is the one who told us about all that. I can tell a difference between the the dogs in waste. Boomer has more than the dogs eating one. My hubby says the smaller the kibble the less waste. Hope that all made sense.

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Funny you should mention the smaller poops, because I'm still in the process of switching my Maxine over to Purina One, and that was the first thing I noticed around the second week.*

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner
    purina one lamb and rice is what we feed our older dogs. Boomer gets science diet simply bc we couldn't find big bags of one large breed puppy so when he is old enough he will get one also. we started feeding it since it doesn't have much corn in and dogs can't digest corn. My mother in law is the one who told us about all that. I can tell a difference between the the dogs in waste. Boomer has more than the dogs eating one. My hubby says the smaller the kibble the less waste. Hope that all made sense.

The size of the kibble has nothing to do with the size of their poop. It's what's IN the kibble that makes the difference.

Scout has always eaten purina one large breed puppy food. We are in the process of switching to large breed adulf formula. There have been no problems with the purina. He absolutely loves it.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Purina ONE is not something I would care to feed because I don't like the ingredients.

Purina ONE® TOTAL NUTRITION Chicken & Rice Formula

Ingredients

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), non-fat yogurt, animal digest, calcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, caramel color, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
    R-4154

Chicken is the first ingredient which is good but the rest of it...yuck. Too much corn, wheat and crappy bits IMO. Of course if it works for your dog, great, but don't be fooled by cleaver advertising. Big companies can afford to make endless commercials on how fabulous their food is. Just because it looks good on the commercials doesn't mean to say that it really is. Look at Pedigree for example...one of the worst foods on the market (IMO) but the commercials make it look as though it is the best food you could possibly feed your dog. That is the power of advertising.

labby is offline Senior Member

Feed what works.

Laura

I tried it until I realized Jes can't tolerate wheat, so it didn't work for us. If his poops are smaller, he likes it, and he's doing well on it, keep feeding it. You'll always find someone that will object to an ingredient in just about any food because we all have our opinions on what is a good food, but what really matters is how the dog does....not how much we like the label. Labby says it best (and shorter than me): "Feed what works."