PPA?

Thread: PPA?

DefaultPPA?

Well, Cassie had a really bad episode of urinary incontinence this past weekend (she's had several before but I really didn't pay much attention until someone on this board made mention of it). I took her to the vet Monday night and she did a bunch of tests and found no UTI or stones or anything out of the ordinary. So the vet has prescribed PPA 50mg twice daily. Cassie weighs 75 lbs. and is four years old.

Anyone have any experience with this drug? What kinds of things should I watch for (side effects, etc.). How does it work?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: PPA?

Is that phenylpropanolamine? I've seen it work well in many cases. Thus far, I've not seen any serious side effects. It is actually an antihistamine that used to be on the market for humans, but was pulled due to strokes especially in men. If it works for your girl, you should results almost immediately. Good luck.

Thank you, ruff n tumble crew! That's good to hear.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cinder also had a very bad urine leak this weekend. She has always had issues with urinary tract infections since she was a puppy. We were told she would outgrow this problem. On fourth of July we noticed that she kept licking herself. Her vulva was very swollen and red. We were out of town and I was lucky enough to find a vet that answered his phone and waited for us to come in. He told us she has an inverted vulva. She was on three weeks of antibiotics but now we noticed that she is leaking urine. We went to our home vet and her urine is very diluted. She also has a skin infection on her stomach that she has had off and on the past two years. We found out now it's from her urine spraying her. He said if the leaking goes away after a few days of the antibiotics (it hasn't yet) then we do nothing. If it doesn't go away he wants to do x rays to make sure she doesn't have stones. He said she may need to be on incontinence meds for life. Is this the same kind of meds you are talking about? We just joined justlabradors today so any info on any of this would be very helpful.

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

I believe Proin is the same a PPA. We use it for Sarah. We started her out on 2 tablets a day, but have been able to cut it down to one a day. She has been on it most of her life and hasn't suffered any side effects.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Yes. The active ingredient in Proin is phenylpropanolamine. Proin is a chewable and cost a bit more than the regular tablets.

Casey has been on Proin for almost 8 years. Initial recommended dosage was three per day!! but I have her on one pill every other day and will try one pill every two days to see if that works. No side effects for her.

Oh, this is great! Proin is what she's been given, and I started her on it this morning in her food. I don't think she even noticed she was eating it. Cindersmygirl, I'm glad you mentioned the rash on her belly. Cassie has a rash from time to time too, and I'll bet that's what causes it. She also reallllllllly loves to have her belly rubbed - like non-stop forever, and she scratches it a lot, too. I'll bet anything it's her urine. So now I'm heartened to hear that the Proin will prolly help her! Thanks, all!

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I also had a girl here on Proin, I just weaned finished weaning her off of it about a month or so ago. She is 12 years old and I fully expected that she would start leaking again but so far so good. The reason that she was taken off is because she started acting really goofy, like going out to pee and standing in the middle of the yard looking at me like why am I out here again?? She also has bouts of what I would call doggy alzheimers and/or dimensia (which I thought was due to her old age). My vet suggested weaning her off of the Proin when I mentioned these things to her, she said that some dogs just have bad reactions to the drug. Since taking her off of it she has been more social and more frisky, I would say in the last 2 weeks alone. If she starts to leak again I am planning on trying something called Leaks No More, it is a homeopatic remedy that is not supposed to have any side effects. I believe the company's web site is homeopet.com.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Thanks for the homeopathic info. I love to try these first. For Cinders UTIs I have found that if I notice right away when she starts going a lot that I can give her cranberry tablets and esther c and increase her water and they go away.