2 yr old w/Hair-loss patch on breast bone

Thread: 2 yr old w/Hair-loss patch on breast bone

Default2 yr old w/Hair-loss patch on breast bone

HI,

I've got a question, new here, so I don't know if it's been answered recently. About 10 days ago when our yellow lab, Max was laying down, I saw a patch w/no hair on the lowest part of his chest/breast bone. I thought maybe he scraped it, but now I realized that's not the case. This patch is just pink skin, @ 3 inches by 5 inches. Doesn't appear to be a rash or other skin irritation.

I'm going to make an apt w/the vet, but if anyone has a possible diagnosis, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Dawn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: 2 yr old w/Hair-loss patch on breast bone

It sounds like it could be a hot spot. My German Shepard gets them, it looks alot like you described. The vet just saves around it and lets it heal on it own. Good luck at the vets!

My lab has a bald spot on her chest also. It is just pink skin with no signs of sores or infection. The vet said it's because she has a really deep chest so it gets rubbed when she lays down and rolls. Nothing needed to be done, she just has a bald spot. The kids like to pet her there because it's so soft. Hope yours is the same!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

Your dog is probably deep chested and wears off the hair. Sarah is that way and its been like that for almost 6 years.

I asked Lya's dermatologist about that last time she was in and he rubbed his head and said it was just pattern baldness and smiled. He would have taken it seriously had it been a true problem.

Just watch for open sores or itching.

Morgan with Lya the Ithchy

Janna and Boomer is offline Senior Member

Boomer has it too. He also has a very deep chest and he lays on his belly a lot. Rubs the hair right off, just like a baby with a bald spot on the back of their head.

Thanks for your ideas!

Took Max to the vet today, she said possibly an allergy. Thinks he may be rubbing against something he's allergic to. She gave me some steroid spray to put on it 2x daily for 14 days. Said to check it doesn't spread, or get infected-looking, or turn up elsewhere on his body.

I tend to think you-all might be right. It;s the absolute lowest spot on his body, and I think he's just rubbed off the hair.

Anyway, I was thrilled it wasn't some of the nasty conditions I read about on the internet.

I'll let you know how it plays out.

Dawn

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

It's likely because he has blown coat and is sporting his bikini for the summer. It should grow back in the fall and go naked again next summer.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Nellie lost most of the hair on her chest several years ago and it turned out to be a food allergy. Diamond had changed the formula on it's Costco brand dog food.