Food, Allergies Flint River Ranch...I do not get it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food, Allergies Flint River Ranch...I do not get it

DefaultFood, Allergies Flint River Ranch...I do not get it

I have heard over and over again on this website of folks with dogs who itch...they change food and poof the itching went away. Shoot, I vanpool with a lady that this worked for. She spent tons at the dermatologist with no results just to change the food on the recommendation of a lady at the hardware store and poof, the problems went away.

Why would this be the case? If an animal is allergic to say beef...then they should have a negative reaction to everything that contains beef even if it is FRR or some other high quality food or even raw home food. Same with chicken...allergic is allergic. I would try other foods but I read the labels see that they contain the stuff her old food contained and think, "well this cannot help."

Even worse, we started home cooking for her a limited ingredient diet. She did very well on it so then we tried a commercial food with the same limited ingredients...poof she started itching her ears within two meals of the commercial food even though it contained the same core ingredients as the home cooked.

Anyone have any ideas?

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Food, Allergies Flint River Ranch...I do not get it

There are several reasons. There is a difference in quality between the same ingredients in different foods. The alfatoxin on the corn for instance. Second some companies make foods for other companies and may not clean the equipment as well after the run. I have had an immediate reaction to another duck formula and not Eagle dick. There may also be preservatives, additives, fillers etc that are causing problems.

You're right, if it is truly an allergy to a protein, it won't matter if it's duck from Eagle Pack or duck from Natural Balance. In general, proteins elicit the allergic response, so if the protein that causes the problem is present, an allergic reaction can occur.

The problem is there can be a multitude of causes for allergic reactions, and food allergies are probably one of the most commonly misdiagnosed problems in the pet world (probably because they're normally "diagnosed" on online forums and not by veterinarians).

Proteins will either cause problems or they won't, it doesn't matter the brand name. If two foods with nearly identical ingredients cause totally different reactions, I'd say there's either an issue with cross-contamination, preservatives, or an allergy to an obscure ingredient that you may have missed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Like FieldLabLover I would say that perhaps it's the perservatives, additives, vitamins or minerals. I use California Natural which is a pretty simple food -- basically just lamb meal, rice & sunflower oil. But it has a pretty darn long list of vitamins/minerals that it adds. Maybe it's something like that -- one of the lesser ingredients -- but it's still enough to set her off.

dare1969 Guest

I have a lhasa who has horrid skin conditions. It took us forever to try and find the right combo of
    protien and carb that work for him...finally we had to get him a Vegetarian dog food for skin
    alleragies. cleared right up.

My dog used to itch all the time... my vet put her on med's to stop her from itching.... I have found that it was animal by-products in her food that made her itch, she ended up with mites and I switched her food to Innova... she did well and she stopped itching... I now feed her flint river ranch....the chicken...she she is still fine.....

It might not be a food allergy. One of Oona's cousins is allergic to fresh cut grass. How long do you think it took them to figure that one out?
    Olie

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by roccolya
    I have heard over and over again on this website of folks with dogs who itch...they change food and poof the itching went away. Shoot, I vanpool with a lady that this worked for. She spent tons at the dermatologist with no results just to change the food on the recommendation of a lady at the hardware store and poof, the problems went away.

Why would this be the case? If an animal is allergic to say beef...then they should have a negative reaction to everything that contains beef even if it is FRR or some other high quality food or even raw home food. Same with chicken...allergic is allergic. I would try other foods but I read the labels see that they contain the stuff her old food contained and think, "well this cannot help."

Even worse, we started home cooking for her a limited ingredient diet. She did very well on it so then we tried a commercial food with the same limited ingredients...poof she started itching her ears within two meals of the commercial food even though it contained the same core ingredients as the home cooked.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am one that changed food and poof the itch went away. I am not sure I am on the right track but after lots of trial and error his itching has stopped. For Ernie I am sure it is grains, preservatives, colouring, vitamins etc in dry food.

I thought it may have been Glucosamine and stopped that. Then the vet and thought dust or food. I had kept him off the grass and have wooden floors.I was vacumming every day. He does get itchy from a plant, but this is different. I tried changing the brand of dry food and found Science Diet allergy free had him itching non stop. I gave each food about a month or until itching got bad.

I put him on a fresh food diet with no preservatives and within 3 weeks his coat was once again shiny and not flakey and no itching. I have been very busy and thought his allergy may have been seasonal, or some other issue and feed him dry. Much easier and I worry about getting all the vitamins he needs. Within a week his coat was dull flakey and he was itching again.

It does seem to me and the vets as if dry food is his problem. Here in N.Z. we don't have the same brands avaialable as in the U.S. I have found a food made here that is suppose to be allergy free (what ever that is) so am going to trial that.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Glad to meet you Poof lady! It dose make one wonder cause top animal nutrition people here in the U.S. say no way could it be the dyes or the preservatives.

I am forced to confess that just in the last month Lya has started shaking her head again. I dunno why as the food has not changed, still home cooked. I am wondering if someone snuck corn starch in the vitamines I need to put in her food. I have to find new ones with no extra junk in them.

We did have her tested for environmental allergies and she is allergic to grass. She is getting shots but they have not started to work yet.

I am very glad to know I am not the only one out here who has a dog that cannot eat food out of a sack. Her butcher (who provides meat for a log of itchy dogs) swears that it is the preservatives.

Thanks again!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Poof lady ;D. Like that better than mad dog lady. ;

I stopped giving him vitamins as I am sure they have preservative. Four times a week I give him a can of fish in natural oil, glucosamine for his hips, and a natural N.Z. shark cartilegde. I am still working out his non itchy diet so will add vitamins. I am sure he is not getting all the right vitamins, but it beats watching a poor dogl drive itself insane with non stop day and night itching.

I looked at a natural food web site and they say bones and fresh food should have all the vitamins a dog needs.

I think it is trial and error and hope Lya gets better soon.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast