possibly another MCT / allergic load
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possibly another MCT / allergic load

lab13 Guest

Defaultpossibly another MCT / allergic load

My choco lab has another lump that is most probably another MC tumour. She was doing so well in the spring. We had her on 75 mg of hydroxyzine , twice a day and was doing great. Two months ago we lowered it down to 50 mg twice a day and now she has another spot. We think it is her allergic load that her body just can't handle.

When ever I put her on "allergy" foods she appears to get worse. I just need to find a food that will lower her allergic load as she has both environmental and food allergies but since they wont test her due to all these tumours we have to just experiment. She shows all the signs of allergies.

Also, most of the allergy food diets are lower in protein and fat that I thought labs need.

ANy suggestions?? Thinking of trying her on PP Turkey?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: possibly another MCT / allergic load

Have you tried any of the Natural Balance foods?
    I've personally not tried them but they seem to have a very good reputation and I believe others on the forum who have allergic dogs feed them their sweet potato & duck formulation which (if I remember right) is their allergy food.

lab13 Guest

Yes we have. She was worse on the duck and potato. Itched like mad on it.

Just go back from the vet and she is having it off tomorrow. We have increased her hydroxyzine back up to the 75 mg twice a day.

Thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab13 Guest

Forgot to mention above that when we tried her on the duck and potato by Natural Balance she itched like mad even though she was on the benedryl dose too.

How do I decrease her allergic load to the point that she won't need the antihistamines. I know of someone who had a lab and they switched to the Eukanuba fish and potato diet and then the dog did so well that she didn't need her pills.

That is our goal with our dog to try and achieve. Thanks

But with what food? As I said, they won't test her as she is at an increased risk of anafalactic
    shock re the MCTumours.

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

Inova EVO - has a red meat formula and a duck/chicken formula - no grains - and is working for my allergy dog - might look at it - not sure if it's what you're looking for, but is working for us! BEST OF LUCK - and please keep us updated!

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

I have a dog with food allergies. We also tried Duck and Potato. Didn't work for us, but Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal has.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGirls2
    Didn't work for us, but Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal has.
    I agree-it's a good food

Sorry to hear that ur dog is having such a rough time. Guinness has food & environmental allergies as well... We tried tons of different foods... so many that I probably couldn't even remember half of them... but (knock on wood) he's on ProPlan SS right now & doin' great!!!! When he was having reactions to his food.. we also tried the benadryl which didn't work for him either. Prednisione was always a quick fix.. but too hard on his system. So, now the vet has put him on Vanectyl. So far, so good... his scratching etc is down to a minimum. He's been on it since May and will remain on it until the fall more than likelly.

lab13 Guest

Happy to hear that others are having success with their allergic labs.

I haven't looked into the Eagle foods at all. I will research it. I know about the Pro Plan one and can't seem to find the Innova EVO.

I will check out the foods above and see. I have been always looking for a allergy food that was high protein and high fat as I thought that labs did better on these???

Vet called late tonight to say that they would like to change the surgery date to this Thursday now.

Must admit that since she scratched like mad on the Natural Balance duck food I was reluctant to try duck again?? What do you think?

I don't really know what to try next........so many still to try.......I just want her allergies to settle down and that she be as comfortable as possible even with or without the meds.

Thanks for listening : ) This will be her 9th Mast Cell tumour removed in 2 1/2 years!! All grade l and all completely removed.

Just so you know we have tried her on the following foods without any sucess. We tried them for at least l med bag at least. Although we can usually tell with in a few days if is going to work or not.

She started out as a puppy on Iams large breed puppy.
    Iams large breed adult
    Iams adult
    Pro Plan chicken and rice
    Medi-cal Preventative
    Medi-cal Gastro
    Eukanuba Maintenance
    Eukanunba Lamb and Rice
    Nutro chicken and oatmeal
    Medi-cal Hypo
    Medi-cal Veg
    Royal Canin SS21 ( very $$$$$)
    Natural Balance duck and potato
    boiled hamburger and rice ( she throws up the beef EVERY TIME within 10 minutes of eating it)

At present she did ok but not perfect ie itching still, licking, etc, on the eukanuba maintenance as long as she was taking the 75 mg of hydroxyzine twice a day.

Natures's variety raw instinct is high in protein. They have a venison formula also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast