Just Labradors banner

FYI IAMS

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  CaliforniaLabLover 
#1 ·
Hi,
Just an FYI that IAMS food is made by Proctor & Gamble. They do animal testing. Definitely testing in development of food products. Proctor & Gamble have a lot of products. For more info about companies that do animal testing (dogs and bunnies are their favs.) check PETA. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). :mad:

#3 ·
Would you really prefer to buy and use a food that was NOT tested for nutritional quality or one that was tested?  I prefer to feed a tested food.  I would not feed a food that did not contain this statement: "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that __(this food)__ Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages."  Long term studies are the way, for instance,  that formulas for Large Breed puppies are tested against other puppy formulations. (AAFCO = Assoc'n of American Feed Control Officials.)

FWIW

Procter & Gamble also owns Eukanuba as well as Iams.

Nestle owns Ralston Purina (ProPlan, Purina One, etc.)

Colgate-Palmolive owns Hill's Science Diet

Mars Candy owns Royal Canin and some others

Schell & Kampeter owns/makes Diamond, Chicken Soup, and a number of other brands plus makes Kirkland for Costco.

I agree with JacksAndLabs sentiments about PETA;  read the book, "Dog's Best Friend" by Mark Derr

#6 ·
I am not a vegetarian and do not necessarily support PETA.  It is merely one source of information.  I do want to know that the food I give my dog is nutritious.  I just believe that can be done without removing muscle from a dog and other such practises IAMS engages in.  I use a raw, organic, whole food diet BTW.  It is ground chicken, turkey, rabbit, salmon, beef, etc.  I don't want to start a rant or a huge issue.  I feel as a dog owner, that I would be a hypocrite if I supported companies such as Proctor & Gamble, SC Johnson, etc. by buying their products.  Am I perfect?  No.  It turns out I do have some of their products in my home.  I will use up those products and go looking for animal friendly ones. 

#7 ·
Iams response:

Thank you very much for taking the time to forward the link to this horrible web
site. It positively sickens me, and is a gross misrepresentation of The Iams
Company and the research we have conducted! We sincerely appreciate loyal
customers like you who make the effort to investigate the truth about these
horrible accusations. Uncaged Campaigns is an animal rights group in the UK
that has connections with a tabloid in London that "broke" this story on Sunday.
Here is our official response:

An article published by a British tabloid newspaper (Sunday
Express, "Pet Food Cruelty," May 27) contained inaccurate and misleading
information about Iams nutritional studies. The Iams Company is appalled by
these false allegations of animal cruelty.

More than two years ago - well before our acquisition by Procter
& Gamble (P&G) - The Iams Company independently made a firm and binding decision
that we would not consider or sponsor any studies that required the euthanasia
of dogs and cats. We determined that we could continue to make crucial health
advancements without such studies because certain key findings had already been
made, and new alternative research methods had been developed (for example,
advances in MRI technology can now be used to examine the condition of bones and
joints without using invasive procedures).

Early in our efforts to develop nutritional innovations, we
sponsored university and veterinary school research in North America that
identified important questions. The answers to those questions could
potentially save and enhance the lives of millions of dogs and cats, but could
only be determined through studies requiring euthanasia. We exhausted all other
alternatives and made choiceful decisions in our research methodology. In those
few instances, researchers used the minimum number of animals possible, and the
results have benefited dogs and cats world-wide.

For example, our studies of canine and feline kidney disease - a
chronic and fatal illness affecting millions of pets - resulted in new renal
diets that make a significant difference in the lives of dogs and cats with
chronic renal failure. Our research into healthy skeletal development has made
a big difference for large breed dogs, where painful and debilitating
developmental bone problems can occur in up to 40% of puppies.

Despite these facts, the story in the Sunday Express portrayed
our published research findings in a sensational, negative, and misleading way.
The article repeatedly described ordinary veterinary health practices in
unnecessarily horrific terms. For example:

* A skin biopsy - which is a common diagnostic test in both human and
veterinary medicine - was described in the article as "giving the animal chest
wounds."
* Giving an animal a routine vaccination was described as "injecting with
live virus vaccines."

Clearly, this type of language is deceptive and
counterproductive.

Other leading pet food companies sponsor or have sponsored
similar studies to those undertaken by our company. Unlike most of our
competitors, Iams openly presents and publishes our findings (for example,
veterinary conferences, peer-reviewed veterinary journals) so that other
researchers can help improve the health and well-being of dogs and cats, without
repeating research projects.

This raises an important question: If our research has been
presented, published and part of public record for more than ten years - and if
other leading pet food companies sponsor similar studies -- why was The Iams
Company singled out now?

To answer that question, it is important to consider the source
of the allegations: This story appears to have been sparked by Uncaged
Campaigns, a UK-based animal activist organization that has long called for
boycotts of P&G products.

To sum up, our research efforts have always been guided by a
strict code of ethics that exceeds the highest standards established by the
Animal Welfare Act of the US and the US Department of Agriculture. Today, and
in the past, all of our feeding studies have been required to meet very specific
criteria, namely:

* The care of animals is of paramount importance, and animal well-being is
always our top priority.
* The results must help veterinarians and pet owners nutritionally manage
important pet health conditions and give real benefits to dogs and cats
world-wide.
* The studies must be unique, relevant, and truly pioneering - in other
words, no existing research could answer the questions raised.

At Iams, we stand behind our research, and are proud of our
55-year track record of enhancing the well-being of dogs and cats by providing
world-class quality foods. That is our mission, one that we live by every day
in every corner of the company, starting with our Research and Development.

The negative Iams information that is flowing through the Internet right now is
a distorted view of our research. Unfortunately, this type of sensationalism is
at the expense of a company made up of people that are passionate about their
dogs and cats, as well as their company's mission (to enhance the well being of
dogs and cats by providing world-class, quality foods). I wish I could share
with you all the thousands of contacts we've had from dog and cat owners
reporting on the impact our foods have had on their pets' health. My own dog
has experienced terrible allergies that were greatly soothed by feeding her a
Eukanuba Veterinary Diet.

#8 ·
Try using Flint River River Ranch- It is the best dog food... my dog used to be so itchy and have allergies.. I went to this website

www.frrco.com/121755 and ordered some all natural dog food delivered straight to your door

Flint River Ranch Super Premium Dog & Cat Food is a high quality food containing only human grade ingredients, no by-products and no toxic chemical preservatives.

Ultra Fresh!
100% 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
All human grade ingredients.
Concentrated for Efficient Digestion.
Costs Less to Feed, Less Cleanup.
Free-Range Chicken and Lamb.
Naturally Preserved with Vitamins E, and C.
No artificial flavors.
No By-products. No Fillers.
No Chemical preservatives (Ethoxyquin, BHT or BHA).

No Color Additives.
No Hormones.
No Laboratory Testing on Animals.
Nutritionally Complete, Exceeding AAFCO Nutrient Profiles.
Recommended by top veterinarians, kennels, and breeders.
Shipped fresh to your door - FREE delivery !
Unique Twice Oven-Baked Formula.
Easy Re-ordering! View your order history, Re-ordering is fast!

FRESH FROM THE OVEN TO YOUR DOOR!!

Our Flint River Ranch Super Premium All-Natural Formula is slowly TWICE OVEN-BAKED under carefully controlled conditions and proper temperatures. This unique baking process changes the hard-to-digest molecules of "raw" starches into easy-to-digest dextrines. This process acts as a "pre-digest" of the kibble food, resulting in less strain on the dog's digestive system and allowing a greater degree of food absorption. A dog's intestinal tract is short; it functions in the most efficient manner when the food is concentrated and can be quickly digested. The important vitamins, minerals and food ingredients can then be easily assimilated into the dog's digestive system.

#10 ·
Oh lord. Ban Iams....eat raw....bad proctor and gamble. Well ****. I should stop eating chocolate because it makes me fat...too bad I don't care.

PETA sucks. Feed what is right for you dog, even if it's ALPO.

#12 ·
NO I am not a walking advertisement for FLR.... I have a couple of people that use it and they talked to me about it.... It has worked wonders on my dogs skin and coats... other dog food that I like is INNOVA.... I am all for all natural dog food... it makes the vet bills less and my dogs are much more happier. I do not agree with feeding my dog animal by-products... ::)

#14 ·
Labrador Lover said:
I do not agree with feeding my dog animal by-products..
Why? Because someone told you not to? Do you even know what by-products are? Its the stuff WE won't eat (heart, lungs, liver) but it contains the most nutrients.

t's not meat, but the organ matter from the chicken, the guts, liver, heart, brains, intestines, stomach etc. I think this is a human thing, because those organs are always the first to be eaten by wild canids, wild felines, and pretty much any other. They don't go for the 'meaty haunch', they go for the gut and pull out all that gooey stuff and eat it.

Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals.

#15 ·
I clicked on the link to Flint River Ranch food that Labrador Lover provided and found an invitation to become a distributor of FRR dog food.  Reading this, one of the benefits, it says, is that when you sell FRR, you'll often be able to feed your dog for free (off the profits you make). 

FRR is not sold through usual channels.  Rather, it's sold somewhat like Amway or Mary Kaye, through individuals who are distributors.  I didn't explore whether there are the pyramids of managers, etc., as there is (or used to be) in Amway.

I also clicked on LL's profile and see that of the 9 posts made, 5 were similar to this one, extolling the use of FRR and often listing its ingredients, the other 4 were concerned with rescues.

FWIW

"Caveat emptor -- cave canem"

#17 ·
Bob Pr. said:
FRR is not sold through usual channels.  Rather, it's sold somewhat like Amway or Mary Kaye, through individuals who are distributors. 
Yep, I agree with that statement for the most part- I feed one of my dogs FRR food (that is what she's always had, she does great on it, and I'm of the firm opinion, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...I've also tried it on my cat with urinary crystals, but it didn't work at all for that), but I don't (and won't!) buy from a distributor, nor am I a distributor...I purchase it directly from the company located in Riverside, CA, and they ship it to my door (official corporate website:  http://www.frrco.com/indexFlash.cfm?).  My other dog is on ProPlan Chicken & Rice for the same reason- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."...he does great on it, his breeder had tried all sorts of other foods including holistic diets and they all softened her dogs' coats too much for the show ring.  Labs aren't supposed to have soft coats and this is what works for him in keeping him in the best health/shape, so I'm sticking with it. 

As Dani said above:
Feed what is right for your dog, even if it's ALPO.
Every dog does well on a different type of food... what works for one may not work at all for another.  Just because you run out and purchase a holistic or a premium diet doesn't mean that this particular diet is going to work for your dog. 

And, "HEAR, HEAR" Labby!!!  Organ tissues and "meat by-products" are some of the most nutritious things you can feed your dog.  Why else would it be highly adviseable for people feeding raw or BARF diets to give things like tripe or kidney/liver?  They are much more healthy than feeding plain meat, which is lacking in most things (vitamins, minerals, etc.) other than protein and moisture.   

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.