FYI IAMS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FYI IAMS

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: FYI IAMS

haha...

sorry reading some of the responses made me chuckle.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NO I am not a walking advertisement for FLR.... I have a couple of people that use it and they talked to me about it.... It has worked wonders on my dogs skin and coats... other dog food that I like is INNOVA.... I am all for all natural dog food... it makes the vet bills less and my dogs are much more happier. I do not agree with feeding my dog animal by-products... :

Katy Guest

Thanks for the link Labrador Lover! I've heard good stuff about that food.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador Lover
    I do not agree with feeding my dog animal by-products..
    Why? Because someone told you not to? Do you even know what by-products are? Its the stuff WE won't eat (heart, lungs, liver) but it contains the most nutrients.

t's not meat, but the organ matter from the chicken, the guts, liver, heart, brains, intestines, stomach etc. I think this is a human thing, because those organs are always the first to be eaten by wild canids, wild felines, and pretty much any other. They don't go for the 'meaty haunch', they go for the gut and pull out all that gooey stuff and eat it.

Meat byproducts in dog food by law do not include hair, horn, teeth or hooves, feathers or manure. It does include organs, including the lungs, spleen, intestines, brains, kidneys and liver, and in the case of chicken byproducts will include the head and feet. About 50 percent of a slaughtered cow will not go for human use, most of this leftover goes into the pet food industry, not because it's unhealthy. How many of us rush out to the grocery store to eat a daily meal with tripe (stomach), chitlins (intestines), and scrambled brains? Believe it or not, while organ meats are gross to think of eating to humans, they are also extremely high in natural vitamins and minerals.

Laura

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I clicked on the link to Flint River Ranch food that Labrador Lover provided and found an invitation to become a distributor of FRR dog food.* Reading this, one of the benefits, it says, is that when you sell FRR, you'll often be able to feed your dog for free (off the profits you make).*

FRR is not sold through usual channels.* Rather, it's sold somewhat like Amway or Mary Kaye, through individuals who are distributors.* I didn't explore whether there are the pyramids of managers, etc., as there is (or used to be) in Amway.

I also clicked on LL's profile and see that of the 9 posts made, 5 were similar to this one, extolling the use of FRR and often listing its ingredients, the other 4 were concerned with rescues.

FWIW

"Caveat emptor -- cave canem"
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Katy Guest

Regarding by-products like hearts and other organ meats, humans in other some countries find them delectable! My grandparents would always eat things like liver and hearts.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    FRR is not sold through usual channels.* Rather, it's sold somewhat like Amway or Mary Kaye, through individuals who are distributors.*
    Yep, I agree with that statement for the most part- I feed one of my dogs FRR food (that is what she's always had, she does great on it, and I'm of the firm opinion, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...I've also tried it on my cat with urinary crystals, but it didn't work at all for that), but I don't (and won't!) buy from a distributor, nor am I a distributor...I purchase it directly from the company located in Riverside, CA, and they ship it to my door (official corporate website:* http://www.frrco.com/indexFlash.cfm?).* My other dog is on ProPlan Chicken & Rice for the same reason- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."...he does great on it, his breeder had tried all sorts of other foods including holistic diets and they all softened her dogs' coats too much for the show ring.* Labs aren't supposed to have soft coats and this is what works for him in keeping him in the best health/shape, so I'm sticking with it.*

As Dani said above:
    Feed what is right for your dog, even if it's ALPO.
    Every dog does well on a different type of food... what works for one may not work at all for another.* Just because you run out and purchase a holistic or a premium diet doesn't mean that this particular diet is going to work for your dog.*

And, "HEAR, HEAR" Labby!!!* Organ tissues and "meat by-products" are some of the most nutritious things you can feed your dog.* Why else would it be highly adviseable for people feeding raw or BARF diets to give things like tripe or kidney/liver?* They are much more healthy than feeding plain meat, which is lacking in most things (vitamins, minerals, etc.) other than protein and moisture.* *

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12