Weight Problem?

Thread: Weight Problem?

DefaultWeight Problem?

Hi all!* *

Loki weighed in at 100 pounds on his last well checkup on June 22nd.* He's a year and 9 months old.* I suspected he'd gained since his last visit to the vet 9 months ago and he did gain 7 pounds.* We knew he was going to be a big boy.* *

My husband thinks he looks fine.* I think he looks chubby.* His (new) vet said she would like to see him loose 7-10 pounds and suggested I cut his food from 4 cups a day to 2 cups a day (one cup twice a day - Purina One).* I did what the vet suggested.* No treats and only 2 cups a day.* (I should have asked the vet more questions about this. :)* He doesn't appear to have lost any weight yet.* *

When Loki was younger we walked daily whether in our neighborhood or at the beach.* Since we moved here to Georgia 4 months ago we walk at least 2 miles a day.* Between myself and family he retrieves 3 or more times a day about 10 minutes each besides his regular play with Dagan and foster dogs.* He's always been active.*

My question to those experienced is - how long did it take your labby to loose weight?* And besides cutting back on his food, is there anything else I can do that I'm not doing already?

I took these pictures tonight.* What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Weight Problem?

I would say yes, he is on the heavier side. I think you have done the right thing by cutting him back from 4 to 2 cups. 4 cups is a lot and not really necessary for the average pet. If I were you I would also switch foods from Purina to a higher quality premium brand. I know a lot of dogs to well on this food but the quality of the ingredients are not great. Brands like Purina ONE are full of cheap fillers (corn, by-products, wheat, etc.) so this will only slow weight loss.

I would continue with what you are doing; reducing the food (changing the brand if possible) and upping the exercise. Don't expect to see results overnight...some dogs struggle to shift weight once they have got it on. Good luck.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

He is a beautiful dog and I think a little over weight.
    After I adopted Ernie I was told I had to get 8 kilos off him.
    I did the same as you are doing and increased his excersise. It took about 4-5 months for him to loose it. If I am not careful it creeps back on.

I like them a little heavier but it is not good for Labs hips to be too heavy at an early age. I have been told you should see a waist, and the first rib. At one point I thought Ernie was too thin, but was told it is healthier for them to be on the thinner side than over weight.

Not sure you can see it clearly here, but in this pic he is overweight according to the vets.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He's a big boy but I don't think he's that overweight. Maybe 2-3 pounds tops. Sounds like he is getting his fair share of excercise. I feed a good quality holistic food. My big boned boy (who is about 86 pounds) gets three cups a day. We either walk for about 30 minutes or they get an off leash run/walk for about the same amount of time. Evening leash walk.

labradork mom is offline Member

I have a yellow boy that looks just like yours. He just went to the vet and weighs 106. He is two years old. My vet told me he is very solid and muscular. Does not need to lose weight. My other female black lab weighs 110 llbs. I do not feed table scraps. I feed 1 1/2 cups of weight control food twice per day and two milkbones. I think people should not obsess with the dogs weight unless it is grossly obese and affecting their health. I also had another lab that never weighed over 70 lbs and ate everything in sight. I think every dog is different.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think people should not obsess with the dogs weight unless it is grossly obese and affecting their health.
    Not strictly true in my opinion. A dog should never get to the stage where they are grossly obese and/or their size effects their health in the first place. Keeping dogs on the leaner side has many health benefits and carrying extra weight is never a good thing especially when concerning joint care. Extra weight may not slow them down much when they are young but when they are old it can and does aggravate conditions like arthritis. Weight also becomes much harder to shift the older the dog gets as they are less active and burning fewer calories.

Every dog is different but IMO it is best to keep them at their optimum weight. They will thank you for it in the long run.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

When we cut Grace back to 1 cup per meal, I think it took 3-4 weeks to really see the difference. I don't know what she was, but she is 72 as of her vet visit today. She has a nice tuck up and good waist from above.

I started Loki on Purina One puppy when he was 8 weeks old because that is what my old vet recommended and switched to the adult months ago. During our last visit with our new vet she said she feeds her chocolate lab Eukanuba but did not suggest that I switch foods, only that I decrease the amount. 2 days ago I would have swore by Purina One because Loki, Dagan, and all the fosters that have come through in the past year and a half have all done so well on it. For the first time ever I'm considering switching. Maybe to one of the ProPlans ????? I'm going to do more internet searching. I just don't want to experience the food nightmare that some have on here.

It's been about 5 weeks since his visit and he doesn't look to have lost any weight. Husband thinks it's the amount of exercise he's getting. That makes sense. In any case I'm not going to change our routine only the amount of food.

If I cut my meals in half I'd look like Barbie in no time. I didn't realize it could take months for Loki to lose weight.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice
    Melissa

Don't know if it's of any help to you, but mine's had a weight problem (put on through the winter, and was on puppy food earlier...richer than adult a lot of times).

My vet, before mine was a year old, said get him on adult food, cut back to
    2 c./day, (he had been getting almost 1 1/2 c. am and pm as a puppy), and add some green beans (I use frozen, thawed). I switched him to California Natural (it's a good high-quality food, without a lot of fillers...not suggesting it to you, just saying what I did). I've cut him back a bit from 1 c. and increased the g. beans a bit (the beans are a filler; helps fill them without adding extra calories); she also said get him swimming, lots, (which I did, as soon as the cold weather was over at spring), as well as running/playing...he gets a few low-cal treats now and then, and a marrow bone once a week from the butcher. He's taken some off; what we've done has helped.

I agree with Trickster. 2 cups a day, up the exercise and in 3 months he should lose the weight. A premium food with less fillers might help also. Dogs with less weight live longer and it is easier on the joints. I have a 12 1/2 year old that has one dysplastic hip and still runs but I try to keep him trim and he could go over 100# easily if I let him.