Another question about marrow bones...

Thread: Another question about marrow bones...

DefaultAnother question about marrow bones...

... how often do you give them? For how long?

... "fresh" or frozen? I'm assuming that frozen lasts longer, but does it also make it easier on the tummy (I'm worried about loose stools etc) vs. fresh?

Thanks, in advance! I just got Henery some from our butcher!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

DefaultRe: Another question about marrow bones...

I give them frozen and let Casey and Hershey work on them for a half hour to forty five minutes at a time. They are very reluctant to give them up. LOL* Then the bones go back in the freezerl until the next chewing session. It usually takes three to four sessions before they have the bones cleaned off/out and* lose interest in them. We haven't had any tummy problems doing it that way.

Henery is in for a real treat!* ;D

lab addict is offline Senior Member

Mine get them fresh, they eat them for as long as they want to, usually a few hours. I never take them away, they kick (or what is left of them) around the garden for a week or two and the dogs chew on them from time to time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I usually feed one marrow bone a week along with a selection of other raw bones every few days. I always de-frost them first. I don't like the idea of feeding from frozen.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta is 6 months and has a pretty sensitive stomach so I give her a frozen marrow bone for about 30 minutes or so once or twice a week. I figured she could get used to it this way and since it's frozen it takes her a little longer to eat the marrow. The marrow is rich, but some dogs can handle it without any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    I usually feed one marrow bone a week along with a selection of other raw bones every few days. I always de-frost them first. I don't like the idea of feeding from frozen.
    Trickster- I'm also new to the marrow bones...is it bad to give the dogs frozen marrow bones?

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Trickster- I'm also new to the marrow bones...is it bad to give the dogs frozen marrow bones?
    I always freeze mine because I buy in bulk but I don't feed them from frozen. I always de-frost them. I've heard of people that give frozen bones but I don't see the point really...I don't eat frozen meat so I don't expect my dogs to either. I just get them out of the freezer a couple of hours before feeding then serve.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I pick them up either fresh or frozen and they go right in the freezer. She gets one every morning, not the weekends. It keeps her busy so Maddy can play. If it's a small one and she gets out all the marrow in one sitting, fine. If it's a longer one, we have her bring it in when we are done being outside and it goes back in the freezer until the next day. We have kept them pretty long that way. If it gets left outside by mistake, it gets tossed and she get a new frozen one to work on.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I always defrost mine first, too, because we use the raw beef knuckle bones and it has to be defrosted for me to be able to cut off the suet and cartilage around it. I don't want Puff eating that much suet and there are small bones inside it that I want to remove first so she doesn't swallow them.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748