Teeth cleanliness and food?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teeth cleanliness and food?

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeeth cleanliness and food?

Rider is three. We have brushed his teeth fairly regularly for his entire life..usually every other week...I prolly should do it weekly, but I don't for one reason or another.

At any rate, since he's been on EVO, which has been almost 7 months or longer, his teeth are becoming more dicolored and brownish.

Should I attribute it to EVO or to genetics and the thought that maybe Rider is prone to tater and stains on his teeth? Aside from putting him under and having them scraped at the dentist, what options do I have? Should I consider switching food?

Thoughts?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Teeth cleanliness and food?

I'm no expert but I don't think you are brushing his teeth enough.* I try to do Sami's daily.* At this point I don't think anything will get the tartar off but a good cleaning.* After that, I'd make a dedicated effort to step up the brushing.

Edited to add -- alot of people just use marrow bones for cleaning. I always forget about those since I don't give them to Sami (way sensitive stomach!) Anyway, does Rider get those? Don't know if they would actually remove current tartar, but may prevent future buildup.

I don't know anyone who brushes daily.

And yes, he gets marrow bones.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    I don't know anyone who brushes daily.
    .... Now you do! ;D

Like mentioned above you may have to get his teeth cleaned at the vet and then go from there. I have some cleaning tools I bought at the center of the universe here in Tooele, UT (WAL MART) that I will clean trouble spots off the dogs teeth once a month or sometimes more frequently. I brush the dogs teeth about once a week but I should also do it more often. I am also a firm believer in bones I get Elk and Buffalo knuckle bones from a wild game processing plant and I have also gotten pork and beef knuckle bones from local butchers to feed to the pups. The dogs really love them and they clean up there teeth great.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock

When I spoke to my vet about teeth brushing, he also said you have to do it at least once a day for it to matter (just like ours)....being that I don't even like brushing MY teeth, that wasn't going to happen. I do marrow bones once a week here and my crew all have pearly whites. If Rider's teeth aren't horrible, you might want to try bringing him to a groomer that is knowledgable about scaling teeth before you put him under for a full cleaning.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Have you tried giving him several raw bones a week rather than just one?

Mine get a couple of raw meaty bones a week and they have perfect teeth.

I am cautious about the amount of raw bones he gets mainly because there has been fosters around for a long time, or other dogs around and I don't really care to feed the entire Mt. Pleasant community of canines marrow bones....plus Rider goes through cycles of sensitivity stomach wise...just a couple of weeks ago he was vomiting and had diareha for no reason...I don't want to flood his system to where I am going to be up every night cleaning puke because I was worried about his teeth.

I really would like to know if the food is exaserbating the problem...

Thanks for your thoughts
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

I really would like to know if the food is exaserbating the problem...
    I think yes. Any kibble food, despite what they say about crunchiness, will add plaque and not remove it. If that weren't the case, I'd be eating potato chips instead of brushing my teeth. The only way to keep it off is mechanically (brush his teeth, eat abrasive foods like bones, or have a vet professionally clean them).

I was trying to get more at EVO...wondering if because of the higher contents of calcium and other stuff...it's really speeding the process up....does that make sense?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast