We have a couple questions I hope someone can help

Thread: We have a couple questions I hope someone can help

DefaultWe have a couple questions I hope someone can help

I posted this on another lab forum to and really haven't gotten any answers I hope someone can help here. As some of you know already Bella has now her 2nd UTI in about 2 1/2 month period. We took the vet a sample of her urine in on Friday and sure enough UTI, they put her on a med called CEPHALEXIN 500 mg. 1 capsule twice a day. I taken notice since she has been on this med sometimes after she pees, she has the mucousy discharge, could that be due to the medicine pushing the infection out of her system?

UPDATE: We were at the mountains over the weekend, and that is when she had the discharge now we are home and she is drinking our water and since this morning we haven't seen the discharge, hopefully its gone.* She has been on the meds now since Friday and today is Wednesday.

Someone mentioned on here before cause she had a mucousy discharge one or two times before and thought it could be puppy vaginitis and they said to use give her Acidophilus so they mentioned to get her yogurt. Well I was looking around at the drug store today looking for more cranberry tablets and found Acidophilus tablets for adults, can we give her the adult tablets.

When the vet did a complete urine test, she came back and told me that her PH was at a great level and there were no CRYSTALS in her urine. Don't know if that will help my last question at all or not.

Oh just remembered 1 more question. I have been giving her cranberry tablets with Vitamin C for some time now, and my cousin is a nurse and she said when you have a UTI you should avoid anything with Vitamin C in it cause of the citrus. For those of you who give your dog Cranberry tablets, do they contain the Vitamin C also???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: We have a couple questions I hope someone can help

Cranberry juice is a common help/preventative for UTI's in humans & dogs BECAUSE it has LARGE amounts of vitamin C...could you have mis-heard what your cousin said??
    did you let the vet know your dog was taking the capsules when the dog was tested? it could mess up the results.
    extra Vit. C, from whatever source, is simply excreted by the body, so mega-doses can lead to more frequent urination [one reason it helps to clear up infection] but irritating the bladder regularly is not IMO a good idea, plus the stuff isn't free. most dose directions say to give Vit. C in 500 mg increments, until loose stool and/or frequent urination is noted, then back off one dose. up dosage in cases of UTI, but be sure to let your vet know!
    as for going to the mountains--letting dogs drink 'wild' water is Not recommended, as all free water in the entire continent contains pathogens. carry plenmty of water for your dog & make sure you stop & urge her to drink frequently so she on't make a beeline for wild water...even puddles can be a problem.

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

I'm sure that someone will respond to the rest of your questions, but since you mentioned that the symptoms were happening while you were at the mountains, and have diminished since she's drinking the water at home, try investing in a Britta Filter Pitcher. It's something you can easily take with you for overnights, and you won't have to worry about the quality of water anywhere. Maxi used to cough after drinking, and since I've been filtering her water, the cough has disappeared. I actually bought 2, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. It's a LOT cheaper than buying bottled water, which I was doing for a while.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Poor Bella. From what I understand vitamin c makes the urine more acidic which in turn discourages bacterial growth. I have just started giving Brigetta a cranberry tablet with her dinner, they were mine and don't have vitamin c. I would ask your vet if it's ok. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

I understand what you's are saying. I just want to clear up that she didn't drink any wild water as far as pond, stream, puddle, lake anything like that.
    Our cousin lives up there in a town that has city water. So that is all that she drank all weekend. Where we go in the mountains doesn't really look like the mountains, there are towns and malls and things like that right around her, so the water she had was all filtered through house filters and things. Maybe she just couldn't handle that water either.

Thanks again.