For those of you that have gone through ACL recovery

Thread: For those of you that have gone through ACL recovery

DefaultFor those of you that have gone through ACL recovery

I was just curious how you went about the recovery process. Fergus is 3 weeks post-op and we've been doing our best to follow the rehab guideline we got from our Vet, but was curious to see what others were doing at this stage of the recovery process. Fergus is only 1, so as you can imagine he is a healthy (other then his leg!) and energetic lab. We don't want to push him by doing to much, but at the same time if he can handle more we want to give him what he needs. Like our Vet said...every dog is different and what he gave us is only a guideline, so you can talior the program to suit your dogs needs. Oh...he had the traditional repair done, not the TPLO. I don't know if that makes a difference in the recovery process??

TIA!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: For those of you that have gone through ACL recovery

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/darbydiary.html

Lots and lots of frozen kongs.

Laura

Paola is offline Senior Member

LOL @ Labby! Frozen kongs, mind games, obedience drills.
    This is another good resource:
    http://lauriebryce.com/tplo/games2.html

Each dog has his own schedule, but the main problem with traditional repairs is allowing enough scar tissue to build up and stabilize the joint. Have you thought about using a brace and doing some PT?
    We didn't restrict the G. to strict cage rest and he was allowed to roam the house. We started short (and frequent) potty walks and slowly increased the duration of his walks. The brace helped.
    At 3 weeks we were walking 20 minutes at the park (with his brace on)once a week and he was doing between 5/6 walks a day of about one block. I usually did a small block on one walk and a longer one on the other. If he was stiff, I'd cut down for a couple of days and then increase again.
    We did twice weekly PT sessions for the first 3 months and then cut down to once weekly, once he resumed swimming.
    When he was 3 1/2 months post op he resumed weekly swimming, so that helped both his recovery and his sanity. I was more conservative than average (his traditional was his second CCL repair) and made sure he didn't do any crazy stuff for almost a year post op, but he was walking for a couple of hours a day 7 months post op.

Now (2 1/2 years post op) he's doing all sorts of crazy things he shouldn't be doing for his elbows, but his knees are fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for posting Fergus. I'm having some of the same questions. Windy goes today to have a pre op Fentanyl patch applied to her good leg, she will be coned, this aught to be fun...NOT. Then tomorrow morning I drop her off for the TPLO surgery. I know I am doing the right thing, still it is making me sick with worry. I can't imagine what it is like being a parent of a sick child having to make decisions like this.
    I will check out the links for activities. I will also keep you posted on her progress.

We just got back from the vet's office. I had to bring her in today to have a Fentanyl patch put on pre op. She'll have it on for the next 5-7 days for pain relief. It is taped to the good leg, I need to keep her from taking it off and eating it. She will have to have a cone on when she cannot be directly supervised, like this afternoon when I have to crate her until DH gets home. I'm hoping she won't be able to get it off. I had it on for a little while and she absolutely hated it. It's going to be a looooong week.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Sorry can't help you here, Fergus could care less about his cone! We had to keep it on for 10 days after his surgery to keep him away from his staples. I'm off for the summer so I was around during the day to keep an eye on him , so the cone was just put on a bedtime & if we stepped out for a bit. He was pretty funny, he would sit there so nice & proud waiting to put the cone on! Hopefully she'll get use to it with time. Good luck with her surgery, I know how your feeling right now, it's such a scary & worrysome time. We'll be thinking of you & her tomorrow...keep us posted.

patm is offline Senior Member

I'm so bad about remembering stuff : Skippy had the traditional ACL repair 2 years ago this coming December. He was a fairly active dog, but not really energetic like some, so that helped. Although he wasn't crate trained, I got him a large crate and put it in the living room and he did great with it. He was supposed to be very quiet for 9 weeks, with just gentle walks after the first week. He never bothered his stitiches at all. I maybe gave him just a couple of pain pills, because he didn't seem in a lot of pain, and I thought it might remind him to take it easy. In about week 2 we were in our yard, Skippy on his leash, when the neighbor dog showed up at the edge of the woods. I was trying to get Skippy into the house without him seeing the dog - but he saw him at the last minute and took off after him. I hung on to the leash with a death grip and got pulled onto my belly in the snow! But He didn't get to run! The next night however, the dog appeared in the back yard and Skippy busted through the back door chased the dog out of the yard - fast as he could. I was so afraid he had really re-injured his knee - but everything was fine. I didn't have that much trouble keeping him quiet in the house.

She was able to keep the cone on while I was at work and again when crated last night. She seems a little less bothered by it. She doesn't even like having bandanas around her neck so I wasn't surprised. She is in surgery now. They will call me later at work when she is out. I'll keep you posted on her progress. I'll just be glad when today is over and we are on our way to recovery.