Neutering older dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutering older dog

DefaultNeutering older dog

What would the consequenses be of neutering a dog at say 4 years old?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Neutering older dog

If the dog is not being used for breeding purposes it would be a benefit.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock

My vet had mentioned that having a dog neutered or spayed later in life as opposed to earlier could make the odds for cancer higher! We lost our Golden to cancer at 9 yrs old she was spayed at 7! Maybe it was just a coincidence but I have heard this from several people.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Can't change the fact that the dog was never neutered. But doing it now isn't going to CAUSE cancer. The vet is just trying to get people do it early 1) to make sure they do it and 2) it can prevent some cancer like testicular. They are not saying it will cause it doing it later...

The only downside is that with an adult dog, the anethesia will cost more.

A four year old dog is still pretty young....we're not talking a senior here where I'd be nervous for them to undergo ANY surgery. Rescues nueter and place many adult dogs without a problem.

Murray was neutered at 2, no issues. My mom just had her dog neutered because he had some type of recurring infection. I think he's around 10 yrs old now, again, no issues.

There is an increased chance of prostate cancer if the dog is NOT neutered. Shouldn't be a problem. Not sure why a 4 year old neuter would cost more than a two year old - they do anesthesia by weight.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you are referring to my comment, I wasn't comparing a 2 y/o and a 4 y/o, I was thinking 6 mon. old puppy and 4 y/o.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mercedez
    My vet had mentioned that having a dog neutered or spayed later in life as opposed to earlier could make the odds for cancer higher!* We lost our Golden to cancer at 9 yrs old* she was spayed at 7!* Maybe it was just a coincidence but I have heard this from several people.
    Your vet was probably talking about the increased risks of malignant mammary (breast) tumors in females... the risks are much higher once the dog has gone through 2 heat cycles, regardless of when it is spayed. The spay surgery doesn't cause the cancer... it just doesn't prevent it like it would have before that 2nd heat cycle.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Paola is offline Senior Member

The G. was neutered a few weeks ago at age 4. He was fine and is fine.
    He previously had a vasectomy at 12 months, since he was living with an intact bitch and I didn't want him neutered before he was fully developed. I didn't want to have to deal with testicular cancer or prostate issues once he ages.
    My senior (and rescued) ES was neutered at age 10 due to both cancer and prostate issues. He recovered very well from surgery, even though he also had heart problems. But it's not something I'd do routinely at that age - we had no choice, we rescued him at that age and with his issues.
    There are pros and cons to early neuter/spay. Mammary cancer is an issue with intact bitches - whereas the risk of other forms of cancer in dogs increases in the case of early neuter.

This is a good resource for pros and cons of early n/s:
    http://www.labbies.com/neuter.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast