My dogs sudden death from cancer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dogs sudden death from cancer

DefaultMy dogs sudden death from cancer

I posted on this board on May 30th when my 8 yo male lab died that night after just a few hrs of lethargy. He had no other sympthoms other than vomiting twice before we brought him in to emergency vet where an xray showed a bleeding tumor . He was put to sleep after the vet told us he would not survive through the night. We were devastated and still are so grief stricken., That weekend before he was playing ball and having a great time outdoors. THat morning he was playful and ate and pooped normally. The vet told us several days later that it was a hemocytoma sarcoma that is a devastating cancer. It is usually on the spleen and bleeds into other organs. He had just had surgery 10 days earlier for a small wart on his head and had his teeth cleaned under anesthesia and they did all the pre surgical blood work...which was normal. So what does one do. Have your dogs catscanned each year to prevent these things or what? How come they just die without warning?
    Has any one ever heard of this cancer? Just throwing this out there ......to see if anyone knows about this terrible disease in a dog that still had years to go. I suppose it would have been worse to find out about this earlier and not be able to do anything to save him, but if it was found it its very early stages...surgery would have been an option. [ ]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My dogs sudden death from cancer

Just been there myself. Darby first showed signs of illness on Sunday, by Thursday she was dead. At first they thought it was lymphoma, but further tests determined it was not.

You and I are shellshocked right now. While I also lost Boomer 9 days later, that was expected since she was 16½. Darby totally took me by surprise and yes I am grieving badly for her and feeling very very guilty for not seeing it sooner.

All you can do is maybe do a full blood panel yearly on your dogs. Even then it might not show up until its too late. The bad thing about these dang Labs is they are so stoic. They don't tell us they are feeling badly until its too late.

I wish I could tell you to quit beating yourself up, but I can't. I'm not there yet either.

Laura

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. One of my dog's best friend died last year in cancer. We met him the day before they put him to sleep and he seamed just as healthy as jused to be... but he wasn't the day after he couldn't stand up and the owners took him to the vet and they X-rayed him and yes he had cancer and he had had it for a while... For them as well surgery wasn't an option...it was too late.
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So Sorry for your loss. My dog didn't have the same type of cancer (they actually found 2 tumors) but one was attached to her rib cage and had gotten so bad that there was nothing they could do. Had I found it earlier there may have been a chance. Granted, she was almost 12 yrs old but I always felt that if I had gotten x-rays more often we could have caught it. Now with the 3 I have now I get their bloodwork and have x-rays taken every year for my own sanity. I know it could get costly but It is a hell of alot easier than finding you only have a few more days left with your baby! That is the worst news in the world!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

thanks for the advice...I am so sorry for your loss :'(

phaereet is offline Member

Sorry for your loss ! But I, on myself think that there is nothing more to say about this. Cancer is probably inherited, a sort of genetic disorder. Though can not be diagnosed due to present limited technology cancer is already out there in you in means of codes, molecules, cells. Years needed for those molecules to be visible by the present technology.
    Maybe my dog has cancer? None of those diagnostic tools can assure us about his six months future. The other issue is that; if you are informed in early stages you will put him in such a mess (surgery, maybe chemotherapy, ... ) You will be anxious ! He certainly will feel your discomfort and feel anxious and unhappy as well. The diagnosis will take many but offer probably none! He would be suffering for those uncomfortable days. He would probably live more but it would only be good for YOU , not for himself. After dead; Labs do not suffer , owners do ! Please don't be selfish. None of us have such a right
    As far as I have understood yours lived well until the end stage. What else should us pray for?

Good luck to all of us

we actually had surgery performed on a 9 yr. old Golden with cancer and I will say she would have enjoyed life more without the surgery. I guess it all depends on the actual health and age of the dog and what the vets recommend. We did opt to not go any further after surgery (chemo was recommended) but she had been through enough! We let her live as comfortably as she possibly could for the remaining days of her life. We had been told that the surgery would remove the cancer but it had spread more than they thought when they actually went in to operate and by that time she was already opened. We will think more into it in the future before jumping into surgery again!

I, too, am sorry for what you have been through. My golden retriever died of cancer. She was fine, eating, acting normal and within 10 days, she was gone. She had primary lung cancer. She coughed a bit one day and when she still did it the following day; I took her in. The vet called saying that her heart rate was off the charts and we had to get her to Univ of GA Vet School ASAP. They did a full body ultrasound on her and found no cancer other than the cancer at her lungs, which they told me was unusual. She was gone within a week.
    My lab golden mix had back surgery the following year in June. In October, she started stumbling and losing her urine. She died within 24 hours from a brain hemorrage. I was devastated.
    Treasure your memories in your heart; let the tears flow, they will for a long, long time. There is nothing we can do to prevent some things from happening; just enjoy every single day like there is no tomorrow.

I feel for you. I too know what you are going thru. I have been there too ...with my Rottie. Frighteningly similiar situation. He played with my kids in the pool all weekend. I noticed that he was not acting right on Wed (not his usual goofy self, walking kind of wobbly). I thought it might be heat related. By Thurs he was no better. Then I thought he might have injured his back so I called the vet and made an appt for Fri. Fri she diagnosed him with a heart lung tumor and gave him 2 weeks. I had him put down that Mon when he wouldn't eat, couldn't stand, had difficulty breathing, and was crying out in pain. I still blame myself for not knowing sooner. This was a dog that was healthy up until the very end. He too had just had ear surgery for a hematoma (2 weeks earlier) and it went well.

I know people say "well at least he was happy and healthy until the end" but that isn't the way its supposed to be. Dogs are supposed to grow old. You are supposed to see them slowing down, maybe getting arthritis, maybe having some other minor health issues, something that prepares you, ANYTHING! You aren't supposed to lose a healthy active dog overnight. It isn't fair. It still bothers me to this day (3 yrs later). I honestly don't know if I'll ever get over it.

I hope you find comfort in knowing you aren't alone, there is nothing you could have done differently. As Laura said, animals are very stoic and are very good at hiding their pain/injuries.

First of all, with many cancers in humans and dogs, routine blood panels don't show much in the early stages. There are exceptions, but many times the case is the condition only becomes known when it is affecting major organs and it's too late to do much. Yes, part of it is them being stoic. Why does one dog live 15 years and a littermate dies of cancer at 4 years? Genetics and environment. You all take exceptional care of your best friends, what you feed is the best food, reading up on healthy alternatives, so maybe what was told to me when I was grieving and second guessing might help which is "you did the best you could for them." The dogs I had that got cancer went quickly-they were eating, shiny, and happy. I would ask the vets "how can that be?" and they said it's because you took such good care of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast