Seizures

Thread: Seizures

DefaultSeizures

My black lab had his first seizure one week before his 3rd birthday. He then had one 10 days later then the last one (thank God) 5 days later. He did have blood work and every thing came back normal. The Vet wanted to start him on Phenobarbital after the 2nd seizure, but I didn't because of the side effects. If he had more seizures I would have no choice to start him on the meds. My question is Would you guys start him on the Phenobarbital or would you wait and see what happens and do most Vets start them on the meds that quick?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Seizures

My last lab, Tucson, started having grand mal seizures at about 5. Her lab work also came back normal. I insisted on the phenobarbitol telling the vet that I would get it from my brother if he didn't prescribe it. Once she started on the meds she never had another seizure and there were no other side effects.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I would also run a thyroid panel on this dog. Sometimes the seizures can be a result of the thyroid being off.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Vet did a thyroid panel it also came back normal. He has been seizure fee for 12 days!!!