Dry coat

Thread: Dry coat

Coco's pal is offline Member

DefaultDry coat

I took Coco to the vet on Monday for a check up. The vet told me she has a dry coat, which I had noticed the last couple of weeks. He didn't really say much more about it other then to ask what food she is eating (solid Gold Bark at the moon). He was happy with that and dropped the subject of the dry coat and I forgot to question him about it at the end of the visit. She had a dry coat as a 3 month old last year. Just curious what people think the best way to treat it is, and what could cause it at this time of the year ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My labs coat has been REALLY REALLY dry the last couple of weeks. There is a really cool trick to fix it without much effort. I'm not sure where you live but you obviously have a pool right? I read that if you wet your dog down, no soap or anything and work your hands through their fur or with a brush so they are completely wet and then just put in the kennel for an hour or so to semi dry off it will help the problem. This happens to my lab when he's throwing a coat. The premise behind the wetting is that it stimulates the skin to produce natural oils and I have to say it has worked so far. If your dog swims in the pool all year round the chlorine could be causing a problem as well.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

You can try virgin coconut oil (start slow to avoid loose stools), Fish oil capsules (with Vit. E to prevent deficiency), or 1 tbspn apple cider viniger daily in food with water added.

Sometimes it is a combination of things that work. I have used ACV alone with success on a young pup with flakey skin.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Might just be the time of year. Jake's coat gets dry when we have the heat on, once the natural heat and humidity of summer in the NE return he's fine I've heard good things for people with coconut oil and fish oil.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo's coat was brutal last year during the winter, this year we invested in a whole-house humidifier, and his coat is MUCH better. *Almost* as great as it is in the summer with all the swimming and humidity.

And the humans are happier too! No more dry nose.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Coco's pal is offline Member

thanks for all the great advice, but I believe we figured it out. After taking her to the vet and doing some blood work, we learned she has hypothyroidism. This should explain not only her dry coat but the ear infections she seems to get quite often even though I regularly clean her ears. Thanks again for all the help though !