Heart guard for Tapeworms? YES, IT DOES!!!! UPDATE!!

Thread: Heart guard for Tapeworms? YES, IT DOES!!!! UPDATE!!

DefaultHeart guard for Tapeworms? YES, IT DOES!!!! UPDATE!!

We found some tapeworms in Zora's stool last night. She is 14 weeks, and I have had her on Frontline & Heartguard since she was 8 weeks. Just gave her the heartguard on Wed. I called the vet. and the tech. asked is she was on heartguard and when was the last time she received it. She told me the the heartguard would also kill stomach parasites such as tapeworms, and that they come out of the stool when dying. Is this right? If so, why are there other meds for tapeworms?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heart guard for Tapeworms?

No you need something else for tapes, Heartgaurd does not do tapes.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

I just checked my package of Heartguard 30 Plus and there is no mention of tapeworms. Take a stool sample and bring it in to your vet. He might need something else on top of Heartguard for this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    No you need something else for tapes, Heartgaurd does not do tapes.
    ditto!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

The others are right, Heartguard won't help with tapeworms. Your vet can give you medication specifically for tapeworm. Good luck!
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tapeworm.html

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

DefaultRe: Heart guard for Tapeworms? YES, IT DOES! UPDATE!!!!!!

Well, come to find out Heartgard Plus does prevent all worms! The site states:

HEARTGARD Plus is highly effective in preventing heartworm disease. All you have to do to protect your dog from the threat of this potentially deadly infection is give HEARTGARD Plus once a month. HEARTGARD Plus provides the most control against roundworms and hookworms available in a Real Beef chewable heartworm preventative, that dogs love.**

I took a stool sample to my vet, (just got back), and the worms are gone! Yesterday her stool was full of them, and even passed one about 1 1/2 inches long. But today there gone, so the Heartgard I gave her Wed. did kill them, I had no idea!

DefaultRe: Heart guard for Tapeworms? YES, IT DOES!!!! UPDATE!!

Wow, that's great!
    Whoo-hoo! One less medication to buy for our sweet puppies.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparemom

I took a stool sample to my vet, (just got back), and the worms are gone! Yesterday her stool was full of them, and even passed one about 1 1/2 inches long. But today there gone, so the Heartgard I gave her Wed. did kill them, I had no idea!
    No, Heartguard is not effective against tapeworms, unfortunately. It sounds like you may have seen roundworms in the stool if the worms were 1 1/2 inches long. Tapeworm segments are like grains of rice, and the worm itself is quite long (6-8 inches or more) but thankfully is digested after it dies so one generally doesn't have to look at it - ick.

Tapeworms aren't diagnosed through fecal exam, but rather by the presence of the segments in stool.

Dani is offline Senior Member

ditto what everydog says...tapes are not eliminated by heartguard....and tapes are the rescult of fleas...
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

That's because tapes do not always show up in stool samples. I had a rescue in boarding once who was full of tapes. He took a poop and there were a ton of them. The boarding facility took him down to the vet and it came back negative. Few days later; he was loaded again. Get thee some tape meds ... if it's truely tapes, they are still there. Heartguard takes care of hooks and roundworms; Interceptor also takes care of whips; but neither do tapes.
    And Dani is right, tapes come from fleas.