Inexpensive ways of Maintaining enuff Hydration with HOT temps

Thread: Inexpensive ways of Maintaining enuff Hydration with HOT temps

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultInexpensive ways of Maintaining enuff Hydration with HOT temps

This post describes some inexpensive, light ways of taking along enough water for your Lab on walks

Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs, dob 8-'01) and I go out for an early morning 70 minute walk in a nearby nature preserve.

I always take water for her but lately, even early in the morning, she's increased her water intake as the temps have risen.

Originally, I used a Nalgene "Cantene" (flexible container) with a very wide mouth that easily allowed me to pour any unused water back in to dispense for a later serving.

But its flexible plastic eventually cracked and leaked after several hundred uses and I found a Tropicana OJ 16 fl. oz. semi-wide mouth bottle a reasonable substitute (& cheaply replaceable when needed). Lately, with the more intense heat, 16 oz. sometimes isn't enough so I'm using a Gatorade bottle with about 22 fl oz, plus also pre-postioning some refueling bottles along the way, just in case.

I pour the water into a "Hydro Bowl" just before we reach 2 normally wet/marshy/pond areas in which Puff is wont to plunge in, wade, and drink water. Also, she gets water at the half-way point of our walk where she has to entertain herself while doing 7-10 minutes of my exercises.

The "Hydro Bowl" we use folds up flat; it's made of something like "tarp" fabric but much heavier duty.* Ours lasted for about 1,000 daily foldings and unfoldings and then developed some leaks.* My attempts at repairing these with "PlioBond" sealant were unsuccessful.* So I trimmed a 1 Gallon Ziplock Freezer bag to fit inside and that's held up for several hundred days without replacement.* The HydroBowl serves as the skeleton, the outer framework, while the plastic bag serves as the interior waterproof liner.* *

The "Hydro Bowl" is worth considering for hikers.* I easily brought up several different sources for "Hydro Bowl" when I Googled it* (AFTER the first few entries for hydroplane compettions) but when I tried to copy them to show the product, I had too many problems.* So, if this interests you, you Google "Hydro Bowl"*

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Inexpensive ways of Maintaining enuff Hydration with HOT temps

I take a hydro-bowl and water when Sami and I hike. I've noticed though, even with temperatures near 100, that she doesn't drink much. She seems way too interested in other things and basically seems to take a few laps only to humor me. :

Normally we walk in the early morning, but this week I've had to move it to nights. On Tuesday we went out at 7:30 p.m., but it was still quite hot and humid. After about 20 minutes Sami was walking at a much slower pace and was panting heavily. I was so worried about her, I took her straight home. Normally I'd say that she is quite conditioned for our 60+ minutes of exercise (swimming, walking, often running off leash) ... but I'm wondering if I should be cutting back with her when the weather is hot.

Curious if I should try adding a little gatorade to her water -- that would probably entice her to drink. Any thoughts on this?

I add gatorade powder to my dogs Drinking water after an intense play session or a good walk or run, It keeps them hydrated and that is very important for Good recovery. Although I havent used any of it but you can check it out and try to find people who have used it before !!

http://www.k9power.com/workout.htm

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dare1969 Guest

Sydney thinks ice cubes are treats, so she gets alot of those when it's hot.
    She loves em.

Bob, if my dogs ever learn of Puff's lifestyle they are going to start calling their lawyers. We try to do right by them, but reading that Puff gets to go swimming to wash off her medical shampoo tipped the scales.! My poor Lya has to sit in the kitchen for ten minutes and then have her feet dipped in water, again, to have her medical shampoo washed off.

I can say that she enjoys the new hand held shower head massager now when she is getting rinsed for a full bath, but otherwise I can imagine her buying a one way ticket to Kansas.

Back to the topic at hand...have you ever given those bottles with a little dish at the end a go? I have not yet, but have looked at them.

Yesterday Lya just helped herself to a neighbors swimming pool, so I do have to look into this.

Keep up the good form,

Morgan with Lya the Itchy

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

roccolya --* ;D ;D

"have you ever given those bottles with a little dish at the end a go?* I have not yet, but have looked at them"

No, probably because for me it's so flexible to take along a 12 or 16 or 22 fl.oz. bottle of water depending on the outside temps.* And the bottles cost nothing (after I drink their contents) and I already have the HydroBowl -- and the Cabela's Safari vest within which to stuff both of them.

I really liked the Nalgene flexible wide mouth "Cantene" --* while it lasted.* That gave the option of taking however much or little water I thought was needed plus it was easy -- easier -- to pour any water Puff didn't drink back into it for serving later.* But the bottles I'm currently using, while having maybe half the diameter of the Nalgene widemouth "Cantene", still are wide enough to get most of the water back in for a* later serving.

And the present method is definitely the low dollar way to achieve the same thing.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748