Cosequin horses vs. dogs

Thread: Cosequin horses vs. dogs

phaereet is offline Member

DefaultCosequin horses vs. dogs

I wonder if I can use Cosequin -for horses; for my 2years old Lab? On the seal, it says 1800mg glucosamine is contained in 3.3g of the powder supply.
    I ask this as it is both cheaper than the dogs formula and also it is not (dogs product) on sale in my country (Turkey). 2x1g of the product seems to be okay for his daily supplementation.
    What do you think?

He has no joint problems at the moment but he is a characteristic of a field type (over active.. running, jumping etc. ever ready to catch the tennis ball) and so, has the potential risks of cartilage damage in future

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Cosequin horses vs. dogs

Yes, you can us it, it is the same stuff. If you call Cosequin's 800# they will give you the proper dosage.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

It has a different glucosamine:chondroitin ratio, but it can be used for dogs. Glucosamine and chondroitin aren't breed specific, so all the different formulas can be used in humans, dogs, etc.

The Cosequin marketed for humans and dogs has more chondroitin per milligram of glucosamine than the equine version, but if you're just using it for maintenance it shouldn't matter. If it's cheaper, I'd definitely go that route.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My trainer uses the horse version too. We never went that route since my dogs don't like fruit and the brand we were using said the horse version was flavored with fruits. I didn't want to buy the large container of it to find that the dogs refused it.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

You can mix it in with some canned dog food and they gobble it up.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

phaereet is offline Member

Thank you, all! I've got the message I needed. In means of prophylaxis of cartilage damage -besides taking other precautions (weight control, proper exercise) Cosequin horses formula seems suitable for dogs as a dietary supplement.

I appreciate your interest

Paola is offline Senior Member

I use it for the G. - 3.3 g once a day. It is so much cheaper.