neutering age???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: neutering age???

Defaultneutering age???

Baxter's vet recommended 6mo, but I have heard 4 months from other people. Anyone have suggestions/experieces? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: neutering age???

Perhaps this thread might help:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,4406.0.html

It's a tough choice. I personally would definitely not do it before 6 months. Now that Ender has passed 6 months we are doing a wait and see (behavior/training and our need for doggy day care) and going to try to hold out until he is 1 yr old before we neuter him.
    ~Lindsay

I plan on having Shadow snipped at 6 months. I have heard cases of a pup being rescued and having had poor nutrition and sometimes a vet says to wait until 10 months or more before neutering.
    I would speak to your vet and ask for their recommendation and why.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

18 months for males.

Laura

Ok could you tell my why this is Labby? Is this something to do with development of the bladder or something? I'm curious. I know you are a very knowledgable lab owner and I'm willing to learn all I can.

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyingkitty
    Ok could you tell my why this is Labby? Is this something to do with development of the bladder or something? I'm curious.* I know you are a very knowledgable lab owner and I'm willing to learn all I can.
    Labby posted links explaining the "waiting until 1.5 years old" in that thread I posted a link to.
    ~Lindsay

Wait till he is atleast 14 months before letting them do such a horible thing to him ;D

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

There's convincing data and such on both early and later neutering/spaying. Best thing would be to do your own research and decide what's best for you and your puppy.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Its your choice. Some recommend 6 months, others 12 months, 18 months, etc. but at the end of the day it is up to you. If you are not having any "male" issues (humping, marking) by all means wait until 18 months. If you are, get it done sooner. Personally, I think it makes sense to have it done before those raging hormones kick in. I am not interested in waiting for my dogs to fill out (actually, they did, even after being done) and I have zero intention of showing.

As for my own dogs, Murph and Joker got the snip at 12 months. Maisy got spayed after her first season and I think she was also around 12 months. Trick, my GSD/Border Collie mix, had it done at 6 months.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If your dog is a pet, 6 months is the average age. Breeders often recommend waiting longer because the dog has a chance to develop into what a proper adult male lab is supposed to look like. It has nothing to do with the bladder, it's overall physical musculature. Also allows the growth plates to properly close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast