That's the last time we go hiking...

Thread: That's the last time we go hiking...

DefaultThat's the last time we go hiking...

I took my lab on a short hike last week located in southern California. Five days after the hike I discovered a tick on his chest. I immediately removed it as recommended and treated the area with rubbing alcohol. The next day I discovered a bigger and more subborn tick up higher on his chest. I did the same as the first. I'm pretty sure both ticks were removed cleanly. Should I have my dog looked at or tested for any disease or infections? Also, I saw tiny black grains of something near the tick. Would these be eggs or tick poop? I have since searche the rest of my dog and did not find any other ticks. If he did get them from the hike then he had the ticks for at least a week before we found them. What are the chances of him having other ticks that may have finished feeding and dropped off in our home or backyard? Thanks to anybody who might be able to help. I am very worried for my dog's health. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: That's the last time we go hiking...

Are you using a flea/tick repellant like Frontline Plus? That usually helps.

I don't think So Cal is known for Lyme disease, so I would just get the ticks off as quickly as possible and talk to the vet about a POTENET Tick repellent!!!

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jrnooch
    I took my lab on a short hike last week located in southern California.* Five days after the hike I discovered a tick on his chest.* I immediately removed it as recommended and treated the area with rubbing alcohol.* The next day I discovered a bigger and more subborn tick up higher on his chest.* I did the same as the first.* I'm pretty sure both ticks were removed cleanly.* Should I have my dog looked at or tested for any disease or infections?* Also, I saw tiny black grains of something near the tick.* Would these be eggs or tick poop?* I have since searche the rest of my dog and did not find any other ticks.* If he did get them from the hike then he had the ticks for at least a week before we found them.* What are the chances of him having other ticks that may have finished feeding and dropped off in our home or backyard?* Thanks to anybody who might be able to help.* I am very worried for my dog's health.* Thanks.
    Ahhh, don't let a few ticks keep you from hiking! Just keep your dog on either Frontline or K9 Advantix (it's said to repel ticks). We hike alot and live in a very high tick area. But we also get them from just being in our backyard :

Ticks can carry a lot of nasty things, not just Lyme ~ Ehrlichiosis & Rocky Mountain spotted fever to name a few. But I believe most of them take at least 24 - 48 hours to transmit the diseases. It is very important that you protect your dog w/ one of the products listed above and CHECK YOURSELF thoroughly.

You should also contact your vet and see what they recommend you do.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

that would be tick poop!! NASTY critters!

My 7 month old had a tick on her about a couple a weeks ago and got it from a back yard!

Yep, just this last week I removed a tick from Loki's ear :P and here I just thought it was the area in which I live. We've had problems with fleas as well despite the fact I treat the dogs monthly with Frontline, but that has improved 100% since we had the yard treated. I've been paranoid ever since I found the tick and have checked the dogs daily and have found none. I'm sure it was just an isolated incident though. Besides my boys wouldn't let me give up our evening walks to the river.

good luck!

I live in New Jersey and we have a lot of ticks here. I have all of my dogs on Frontline all year long and I've had them all vaccinated against Lyme Disease. In fact, Hooch goes for his second shot tomorrow because its his first time getting the vaccine. Although, I've pulled ticks off of all of my dogs and they've never gotten any diseases. My Dava had lyme disease when I first found her, but she was an outside dog and had a lot of ticks on her. The antibiotics helped a lot and she hasn't had a recurrance since.

Frontline doesn't repell the ticks though. It kills them once the tick bites the dog. I don't know anything about K9Advantix so you might want to look into that. There are less expensive things at pet stores like Biospot. That stuff just paralyzes the tick once it bites the dog and it will fall off. Then you have a live tick running around your house. I tried it and the money I saved was NOT worth it.

Also, you probably found dog ticks on your dog. They are the large brown ones. Its my understanding that they do carry disease but are not as bad as deer ticks which definitely carry lyme. Deer ticks are very, very, very tiny. I had one on me and couldn't tell if apart from a freckle on my leg until it moved.

You should really just try to educate yourself about the types of ticks in your area and the problems they can cause.

I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol with some cotton it around the house so when I find ticks on the dogs I put them in it so they die immediatley and then I throw them away.

Finally, when we first got our Samson and he had his first tick we almost called 911 we got so panicked. Its really not that bad and you'll get used to it. Don't let those gross little creatures keep you and your Lab from enjoying the places you love.

I hope this helps a little.

Hope this helps.