Food question/loose stools

Thread: Food question/loose stools

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood question/loose stools

Since we brought Dakota home he has loose stools. In his previous foster home he was on Purina one I bought I 5lb bag and mixed it with what I feed Wellness White fish and Sweet Potato. His stools have been soft for the week he had been here. In the mornings they are little more formed but still soft. Could it be the food anyone have any suggestions on, a food I may try on him. I know others mentioned certain foods caused loose stools for thier dogs. Any advise would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Food question/loose stools

Are you overfeeding him? He needs a lot less Wellness food than he does Purina One. If you overfeed the super premium foods you often get diarrhea as a result.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I second what Labsrme said. I have one of my dogs on a premium holistic brand and if I overfeed he will get loose stools.

How much are you feeding him?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I second what the others have said. If you aren't overfeeding him, you could try adding either pumpkin or psyllium husks (Metamucil) to his food. Fiber will usually help to straighten that out ... and if there isn't an underlying problem, maybe a few days of that would get him back on track. If not, my next step would be to take a stool sample to the vet. Sami had soft/loose stools and we discovered she had an overgrowth of Clostridium.

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

I think we may be overfeeding him. 2 cups morning and night he is very thin. Dakota is a recuse and weighs 59 pounds very tall also he was treated for HW. I'm not sure if the pound experince or the treatment has made him this thin. I would like to get 15 or so pounds on him. As far as Clostridium I would say no i would remember that smell forever. We have patients treated for that and it has a disticnt odor.