becoming a lady?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: becoming a lady?

Defaultbecoming a lady?

I think Dakota may be ready to "become a lady"

WE've noticed her vulva swollen for about a week now... and today and yesterday VERY swollen... her nipples are more pronounced too we've noticed when we rub her belly. She also seems a little different - kind of restless maybe. I've been doing the white kleenex wipe and nothing yet...

anything else I should be looking for? How long typically once she is swollen before she goes into heat?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: becoming a lady?

Dakotas Mom -- I asked this question some time ago and I believe the response was that the swelling can occur anywhere from days to weeks before the heat. I don't think there is an "absolute" with this.

How old is Dakota? Sami is a year old and still no signs. I'm guessing that the swelling is obvious ? ? ? I do the kleenex wipe every morning too.

Dakota is 8 months old... her mom had the pups when she was barely a year if that gives any indication - so she probably went into heat around 9-10 mos...

It is very noticable... when she walks from behind you can see it... and she has been cleaning extra, although she has the vaginitis issues so I take that "sign" with a grain of salt... she has seemed a little restless... I'll keep checking and let you know... we are hoping soon so we can get on with it and then spay her

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dakotas_mom
    It is very noticable... when she walks from behind you can see it...
    Wow ... well okay, guess I won't be missing that sign then! Thanks!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Grace was 11 months when she went into heat. I forget how long the swelling happened before I wiped and noticed blood. Just keep an eye out and do it each day. You'll notice when she's ready.

Her season lasted 3 weeks to the DAY once we saw blood.

Lizzie is 9 months and we are week 3 into her first heat, she was swollen a few days before (and still is) and her nipples are also pronounced. She has been quite restless, sighing and lying around alot (it is also very hot here at the moment). She also cleaned herself much more a few days before.

Piper was 12 months for her first heat. Personally, I didn't notice any swelling but she was obsessively cleaning herself the night before it started (or maybe when it started).

Thanks for all the info...she still has not started (checked this morning) but boy is she swollen!! And seems very restless and kind of clingy- she was going nuts this morning especially.

her mom had the pups when she was barely a year if that gives any indication - so she probably went into heat around 9-10 mos..

WOW!! Where did you get this pup?? the breeder should really be blacklisted for getting a bitch pregnant that early specially when she has no clearences/

she was not a breeder - just a friend of a friend who ended up with puppies from her two purebred labs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast