Pup keeps throwing up

Thread: Pup keeps throwing up

DefaultPup keeps throwing up

Hi

We have an 8 mos old pup who has not been feeling well since Wed. It started with him throwing up early morning on Wed and continued about every hour until Wed evening. He couldn't even keep water down. By the afternoon the vomit had some blood in it and he was completey lethargic. He had diarreah too. We took him to the local vet (we were out of town) they said all seemed normal just a little temp. They gave him a shot of Pepcid and some antibiotics. By the next day he seemed much better. He could keep his food down and his poop returned to normal. But he just didn't seem to have the same energy. Well yesterday he threw up again, twice and today he has thrown up about six times, he is acting like he did on Wed. I am afraid he will start throwing up blood again. What could be wrong? Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pup keeps throwing up

How is lethargic "normal"? Get thee to another vet. One with a bit of common sense. There are MANY reasons your pup could be vomiting and having diareha and not many of them are good. (parasites to parvovirus)

Laura

I would DEFINITELY go see another vet! could be parasites, could be something more serious...could even be an obstruction - get it checked by someone else asap and keep us posted!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I called our vet she couldn't fit him in today. So I will keep a close eye on him. He had all his shots, do you think he could still come down with Parvo? And his poops returned to normal(until today), could he have an obstruction?

Here is another thing, I just talked to my mom and her Golden is throwing up today too. We both were camping with our dogs. He also has all he shots, but they were both in the river. Could that be anything?

Thank you for your responses.

Maybe they both caught something bacterial?

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have no idea what the problem could be (it could be MANY things) but I would get him to another vet ASAP. If he has been ill for nearly a week, it could be a serious problem.

And his poops returned to normal(until today), could he have an obstruction?
    Unlikely if he is pooping normally and has a temperature. When a dog has an obstruction one of the major tell-tale signs is a normal temperature. If your vet is doing his job properly he will check your dogs abdomen for any obvious obstructions. Many but certainly not all (depending on the size of the object) obstructions can be felt through the intestinal wall.

How is he now? any better?

He is much better, thank you for asking. I fasted him for about 18 hours and am slowly returning him back to his normal diet. He stopped vomiting late Monday evening and his poops finally returned to normal today. He seems much more like his self. I am keeping a very close eye on him though to make sure this mystery illness does not return. It is so scary when they get sick, you never know how serious it is or is gonna be. Thank you all for your responses.

Serena

Oh good!!!

I know - it is scary - those are the times I wish they oculd talk and tell you what's going on!

Glad he's feeling better